Your Weather, 2021

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I have been thinking about sunrises. I always get up at 6:30am and am wondering if when I retire I will be getting up later. It is getting darker later on now so just wondering. Do retired people change their sleeping schedules?

Mary

i get up earlier now than before.

Mom gets up early. i tend to sleep until the light wakes me up, but that works mostly this time of the year (i have the large patio doors facing ENE). once winter comes along i tend to wander around the clock a lot more and stay up later. left to my own devices i stay up a half hour to an hour later most nights so i cycle around the clock until the days get long enough again and i sync back up.

once in a while (like today) i can often get an hour or two nap in after having breakfast. when it is hot outside i can't do that, but today was rain so... roll over and zzz...

in the good old days i could stay up most of the night reading but now at least i can put the book down and it will be there in the morning waiting for me. books are patient like that - it was my imagination that wasn't...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I used to say that if I didn't have it done by noon, it wouldn't get done that day. Mostly, this wasn't true but the pleasure that could have been a part of the task tended to disappear as the day wore on ...

My hours asleep has a lot to do with discomfort of maintaining any one position. Eight hours in one position? Impossible! Of course, we turn. However, movement like that awakens me, there is no "tossing ;)."

So. There may be 1 night a month when I'm horizontal for 8 hours. 5 and 6 hours are common but 4 happens a little too often. With retirement, of course I will likely fall asleep thru the day after nights of little sleep :).

If I was back to a regular work schedule and have to be somewhere at 9 am, for example, I might plan on being up at 7 while forcing myself to stay up until after 10. Otherwise, my day's midpoint would come too soon and I'd still have too much to do. The result would be an unhappy Steve! I find Joy during the early hours of the day :).

... books are patient like that - it was my imagination that wasn't...
It was a lesson to be learned. Now, you may find that your imagination has a broader field during daylight hours - no matter what you are up to, and for.

Steve ;)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another "rain train" here, 4.5" last night & this morning. We were in the bullseye; it looks like the rural garden, just 6 miles West, might have fared better (just over 3"). I'm certainly not complaining about that, since just West of there they had 6"+.

We needed the rain, the ground where I don't irrigate was cracking deeply again. No severe wind here, so the corn is still vertical & the local farmers have to be happy. But really... this year it is either flood or drought, and nowhere in between. It would be nice to just have a passing shower for a change. :rolleyes: Fortunately the basement was repaired last month, and seems to be staying dry. The two sump pumps are playing tag team.

The silver lining is that I took advantage of the rain-cooled air last night, to do some canning without heating up the house.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do retired people change their sleeping schedules?

Mary
I have. I've always been a morning person while my wife is a night owl. Work schedules are what they are but I was usually the first person in to make coffee wherever I worked. In college I tried to schedule classes early in the morning, I did better in classes and could better stay awake. My problem was not getting up in the morning, it was going to bed at night. Even on weekends I tended to get up at my regular time most of the time. I just felt better, especially on Mondays. Still I pulled a few sunrise services on some weekends when I was young and single.

My wife likes to sleep in when she can which is most of the time now that we are retired. I can't do much in the mornings around the house without waking her up so I've gotten in the habit of staying in bed longer and staying up later at night. I still typically get up an hour and a half before she does, I just can't lay there that long.

To put numbers on it. I used to get up by 5:30 regularly. Now I may sleep until 6:30 or 7:00, especially in winter with the late sunrise.

You are going to do what you are going to do. I'm sure you and your husband will find something that works for you.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeedman, you must be out from "under the weather" ..

. and recovering. Yay!

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yes, finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and returning to almost normal levels of activity. There wasn't much that could keep me down during harvest time. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was .21 of an inch of rain, yesterday. That's about what I think of as a "summer rainstorm" for here.

It was 51°f (11°C) this morning, with fog. AC was off yesterday afternoon for the first time in weeks (months?). There's no need to open windows and turn on fans this morning. The air isn't "Good" but that's probably because the fog is holding pollution. The WS person said that we had slept through 6 weeks and it's now October!

Some of the fires near the Canadian/US border must have had considerably more rain. One area seemed to have continuous rain for a good 12 hours. This wasn't a big storm but it may have done some good where it was especially needed. Back to the high 90's before this weekend.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i thought we were going to get pretty heavy rains last night but the weather mostly missed us other than seeing a lot of lightning and hearing the thunder. we did get some rain, but the people south and north of us took a lot worse hits than we did. also to the west of us. one person we know had a large tree come down on their car. downstate a lot of people lost power and they're still cleaning up that mess. said it was nearly as bad as the big storm we had in 2017. and here i'm worried about some soybeans... nothing in comparison...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I have been thinking about sunrises. I always get up at 6:30am and am wondering if when I retire I will be getting up later. It is getting darker later on now so just wondering. Do retired people change their sleeping schedules?

Mary
Yes, although a lifetime of waking early to go to work still hangs out with me. But sometimes I sleep past 7 or 8, not often, but it happens. No alarm clock! Then there are mornings like this one, I woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep. But at least I won’t have to drag myself to work! Lol

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy how the storms have gone north or south of us. We have not had a significant rain for almost a month! And some days have been very warm, mid 90's with high humidity. Air quality poor with smoke from distant fires. :( It is supposed to col a bit this coming week. Starting today, Good as I have a large amount of green beans and tomatoes to process.

Latest posts