Your Weather, 2021

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, although a lifetime of waking early to go to work still hangs out with me. But sometimes I sleep past 7 or 8, not often, but it happens. No alarm clock! Then there are mornings like this one, I woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep. But at least I won’t have to drag myself to work! Lol
Bay, I always wake up at 6:30 even on my off days which are 4 out of 7. It's hard for me to imagine that I will sleep later than that. I have always gone to bed early 9 or 10pm and gotten up early even as a teenager.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
just got a note from one of my brother's said they didn't have power for 60hrs and that it just came on. yikes! in this heat we'd not have liked that at all, but where he is at is pretty well shaded so they're about 10 degrees cooler there.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the forecast, it will be dry & cooler for the next week. Hopefully the ground in the rural garden will finally have a chance to dry out. Our average annual rainfall is 34", we've had over 1/2 of that in just the last 6 weeks. The gardens at home are doing exceptionally well in spite of the heavy rain... they run parallel to the house 6' away, and I think the sub pumps even help to drain the gardens. If the rural garden was on my own property (its not) I would actually consider installing a sump pit there.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s raining all around us tonight. Storms have popped up in a literal circle around us. We’re supposed to get the remnants of the tropical storm Fred early next week.

I’m a morning person always up by 8 even if I’ve only gotten an hour or two of sleep. Most mornings I’m up by 6. I’d probably get up around 5 during the summer but work means I don’t get home until 9 or later on those nights. The maybe once or twice a year I stay in bed past 10 I get woken up because the rest of the family assumes I must be deathly ill or something along those lines.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the forecast, it will be dry & cooler for the next week. Hopefully the ground in the rural garden will finally have a chance to dry out. Our average annual rainfall is 34", we've had over 1/2 of that in just the last 6 weeks. The gardens at home are doing exceptionally well in spite of the heavy rain... they run parallel to the house 6' away, and I think the sub pumps even help to drain the gardens. If the rural garden was on my own property (its not) I would actually consider installing a sump pit there.

we sat outside and talked for a while yesterday afternoon. the rains, heat and humidity made that too difficult for the past many weeks. i'm not much of one to sit for long (my lower back does not like sitting plus i'd just rather be doing something) but it was at least a nice enough day to do that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have officially surpassed our annual average. From a newspaper article.

"A strong thunderstorm that dropped 1.52 inches of rain at Louis Armstrong International Airport on Friday pushed the New Orleans area's 2021 rainfall total to 64.48 inches, exceeding the annual average of 63.35 inches."

Yeah, it's been wet.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been pretty wet here with a light drizzle this morning, now the sun is out and it's really humid.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Dear Lord: Don't you know I'm sick of smoke and over 100 degrees heat? Sick to death, for sure.

We can barely go out to the grocery store, cus the eyes will start to water a tiny bit, and the ash stirred up by the cars is making it difficult to breath, and we've under a mandate to start to wear masks again. Maybe our masks are helping with the smoke and ash....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch - On the internet there are pictures of box fans with furnace filters attached to them. A local college professor posted a picture of how dirty his was after running in the house.

DS sent me a Dyson air filtering machine in 2020. It's a little breezy today but hasn't changed the air quality so far, local government says. The breeze may be bringing some smoke into the house but the Dyson says 42 which is high considering that we have been trying to keep things closed up. The 42 is still in the Good range but pushing it.

I have a clean furnace filter but it's not really the right size for the box fan. I suspect that any filter would have to help some - including a face mask ;). The professor is an historian but he was impressed and wanted to share. The filter looked brown and yucky.

Steve