Your Weather, 2021

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two summers ago, I bought an air purifier. I'm sure it helps inside, @digitS'

The elderly and the unprivileged don't have AC down here in Southern OR. A local home grown lady has been asking for donations for fans and filters for them. I sent her money so she can go to WM and buy as many as she can. Other's are helping her too. Re-emerging Covid has wracked with alot of the volunteer efforts however.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It’s raining all around us tonight. Storms have popped up in a literal circle around us. We’re supposed to get the remnants of the tropical storm Fred early next week.

I’m a morning person always up by 8 even if I’ve only gotten an hour or two of sleep. Most mornings I’m up by 6. I’d probably get up around 5 during the summer but work means I don’t get home until 9 or later on those nights. The maybe once or twice a year I stay in bed past 10 I get woken up because the rest of the family assumes I must be deathly ill or something along those lines.
morning person +1, always up around 0530 and fainted before 2130 :lol:

By the way, just to say my oriental lilies are blossoming :love, like your profile photo~~
30155.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ 3:30, air quality monitors said Moderate. Oh boy. Check the temperature: 72°f (22C). Well, that's not gonna help ... much.

Thirty minutes later and the temperature was down to 69°. Fans on, windows open!

An hour later, air quality had dropped (or risen 🙄) 100 points -- now Unhealthy for Sensitive. I'm Sensitive. The house had begun to stink of smoke. It still does, with fans off and windows closed for an hour. Chance of rain tomorrow - I sure hope it helps clear the air but yesterday's 100° won't be repeated for awhile.

The slightest of breezes from the north, overnight. The Weather Service says that we should be hope for a southerly breeze to "erode" the smoke. How is that? While people living elsewhere learn, justifiably, about fires in California and southern Oregon, we are hoping for a breeze from the south and hunkered down because of air moving from the north???

What may be overlooked are the fires within a hundred miles or so from the US/Canadian border. BTW, I believe that when bad air showed up about a week ago across much of the US, it was from these fires. Soooo, when we do get the south wind, the smoke lifts up over the Rockies, blows off into southern Alberta, and then proceeds to drop south and drift off to the east. Yuck.

Steve
an ill wind blows no man good

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i feel pretty sorry for anyone affected by the fires, but i think that building above ground in a hot arid climate is just asking for it. build below ground and build to be able to shut off outside ventilation for some time when fires come through and build to not lose the house when wild fires happen. the rest of the time you can live as you wish knowing that this is a local hazard.

the past 150 years of fire suppression have built up fuel supplies in the forests for when they do burn so they burn much hotter and longer. if you are not going to harvest the dead standing wood (not all of it as some animals do use it for habitat and food) then it should be regularly burned just like it would have had we not settled there.

study nature's ways and learn to live with it instead of wasting so much energy and efforts fighting it (which accomplishes little anyways).

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Went about 10 days without rain and it finally started up again last night as we got a half an inch. The tropical storm that was supposed to dump several inches of rain ended up veering off the the east and went through Georgia instead. Currently we have more storms on the way and the thunder sounds impressive there’s been a almost constant deep rumbling in the distance for the past 30min to an hour.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went about 10 days without rain and it finally started up again last night as we got a half an inch. The tropical storm that was supposed to dump several inches of rain ended up veering off the the east and went through Georgia instead. Currently we have more storms on the way and the thunder sounds impressive there’s been a almost constant deep rumbling in the distance for the past 30min to an hour.

there are some small chances in the forecast for this afternoon and through the weekend but i'll still water because it isn't likely to be enough.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Significant Cool-down and a little rain.

We may be beyond our high 90's days and those above 100. There was about 1/4" of rain with a sprinkling on Friday and some showers yesterday afternoon! It was very welcome.

I mowed the front lawn in early afternoon. While doing that, I wondered how long that it has been since I was out with the mower after noon. But, it was only 72° (22°C)!!!

The small amount of rain was shared broadly and fell in good amounts some places. It's only been recently that I have learned that the US Weather Service sends people to places under severe weather conditions. Some of these are near our wildfire locations. One nearby recorded an inch of rain and another nearly that much. I don't know the readings from the day before but those were also broadly scattered storms. Hopefully, not too much lightening.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 49°f, this morning (9°C).

Way too much wind yesterday with gusts nearly to 30mph. The air quality moved into Moderate because of dust? ash? Kinda shows what the 1/4" inch of rain that fell earlier in the weekend amounted to ... although the air coulda been much worse with wildfire smoke.

I'm hoping that the higher rainfall amounts on some of the fires made an important difference.

No windows open this morning! We may have to resist a temptation to turn heat on over the next 24 hours.

What a year! Actually hoping for longer nights, cooler temperatures, snow ... This is Steve. Noting the late arrival of the sunrise ... darkness descending at 8pm. What a year!

Steve