Your Weather, 2021

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 ,

tell us about Storm Arwen and your neighborhood, please.

Did you lose electricity? I understand that rail service was shut down because of fallen trees.

Steve
where the sun came out for about 20 minutes this afternoon, after the fog finally lifted and just before a light rain began to fall
We have had a strange sounding wind the other night, it didn't seem real it's cold and we've had a little snow in the mornings my chickens water turns to solid ice but other than that nothing here so far 🤞

Grandmas Garden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not a Lot of snow yet up on top of the Olympic Mt.'s
rh.JPG

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have rain here tonight and it's very cold, so maybe this storm us coming our way

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weather: Record warm, yesterday. High 50's. There have been 4 mornings without a frost and the WS says 3 more coming. Maybe yet another record day!

Dang. I was wondering if I was making a mistake NOT mowing the lawn about the first of November! It would have been quite unusual for me to do that but now ... it's growing. Surface soil is wet - we had about 1/4 of an inch more of rain, lately.

@Phaedra Geiermann , if you have moved from Taiwan to Germany, near Belgium, you have moved from about 25° North latitude to 50° North latitude.

For North Americans that would be like moving from the Florida Keys to Calgary, Alberta. Your weather is moderated somewhat by ocean currents but changes in daylight hours would be dramatic.

Yes, Steve, before I moved to Germany, I didn't understand why people here need so many candles in the winter (we only used candles when a bad typhoon causes power shortage). Now I fully understand, the daylight hours in the winter are so limited - and candle light can be so comforting. From this winter, I also started to supplment low dosage vitamin D2+K3, a common recipe available in supermarkets and drugstores.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daffodils are coming up. YIKES!! And the stupid messy horrible Bradford Pear trees haven't finished dropping their leaves and messy fruits.

daffodils will start growing the previous fall and then pause when the weather gets cold enough and there isn't enough light. i'll often find them in this state if i get a chance to do any gardening in the late fall and winter. i may even be able to get outside today to do some gardening if the wind doesn't blow me over. gusts up to 38mph so that's not fun but at least it isn't so dry that dirt/sand will blow around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
horrible Bradford Pear trees
What was it about Bradford pears that compelled so many folks to use them in landscaping?

I first had some interest while walking through a neighborhood and being hit with a horrible odor. What was this smelly tree!?

It must have been pretty photographs in advertising. Now, I'm learning that they are invasives in some areas.

Steve
record high yesterday afternoon, now to cool off

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What was it about Bradford pears that compelled so many folks to use them in landscaping?

I first had some interest while walking through a neighborhood and being hit with a horrible odor. What was this smelly tree!?

It must have been pretty photographs in advertising. Now, I'm learning that they are invasives in some areas.

Steve
record high yesterday afternoon, now to cool off
I know the flowers and shape are popular but everything else sucks. They also spilt insanely easily. It feels like every time we have a storm one of the neighbors will lose a tree cause they can’t handle the wind.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thankfully we had sun today. It was solid ice when I went to get the chickens out so left them until the sun came into their part of the garden.

Latest posts