Your Weather, 2021

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been having such extreme fluctuations in weather. Massive snow and freezing cold, then highs up to 5C/41F rain, and everything is melting like crazy. Thick layer of slush on everything, and rubber boots are too cold to wear! lol.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter storm warning yesterday... we were right on that "mix" line, so got a little of everything as the storm rolled through. Rain yesterday, with some hail & thunder in early morning, turning to all snow. I checked the weather radar just before turning in; this was a really long, powerful storm front, from Canada to Texas. There were several tornado warnings South of me last night & a lot of severe thunderstorm warnings, I hope everyone made it through OK.

we had power taken out yesterday morning, but they got it back to working about an hour ago. our winter prep routine worked out ok. i learned to boil some water in the fake propane fireplace in a soup can for hot chocolate and coffee. we used to have some old metal pans i could warm things up in but those were recycled last year so we made do with what was on hand.

considering what others are facing down south we got off pretty lightly. it is sad for sure to see destruction and lives lost.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Terrible winds from Colorado, east.

Fifty mph plus in Iowa and right through where the tornadoes did so much damage. Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois ... Still ahead, more windstorms moving into Indiana and on to the Northeast.

!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got the winds last night, gusts up to 90 mph. Took out some greenhouse panels, tossed a few things around back yard. Otherwise, all is well. (Unless the neighbor's fence that is leaning on the house did damage to the siding. )

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still very windy here, but fortunately the strong storms bypassed us. It really blew hard in the wee hours, not a whistle but a constant roar through the trees. DW said it sounded like trucks passing by. I just did a quick inspection, no damage other than a few small branches down. Last Fall I overhauled the fasteners holding the greenhouse side panels & removed the top panels for the Winter, which is probably why the greenhouse is still intact.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s still warm here. It feels like someone switched December and October around. It’s 70 today and warmer tomorrow with possibly record breaking temps. We’re supposed to have a cold front come through Saturday but it’s supposed to be in the mid 60s again for Christmas. November was unusually cold and December has been so unusually warm that some of the spring wild flowers/weeds are blooming. Nothing big like daffodils but lots of little yard weeds like bittercress and deadnettle. Normally we don’t see those until the first good warm snap in late January to mid February

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still very windy here, but fortunately the strong storms bypassed us. It really blew hard in the wee hours, not a whistle but a constant roar through the trees. DW said it sounded like trucks passing by. I just did a quick inspection, no damage other than a few small branches down. Last Fall I overhauled the fasteners holding the greenhouse side panels & removed the top panels for the Winter, which is probably why the greenhouse is still intact.
He has a hydroponic system and plants in it, so the green house was all closed up. He had added more clips and even screwed panels in. But wind ripped them loose anyway!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s still warm here. It feels like someone switched December and October around. It’s 70 today and warmer tomorrow with possibly record breaking temps. We’re supposed to have a cold front come through Saturday but it’s supposed to be in the mid 60s again for Christmas. November was unusually cold and December has been so unusually warm that some of the spring wild flowers/weeds are blooming. Nothing big like daffodils but lots of little yard weeds like bittercress and deadnettle. Normally we don’t see those until the first good warm snap in late January to mid February
It got to be 75 here before the storm BLEW in. Shattering an old record of 56 degrees.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that is the truth!

267454405_10166203310440494_2769895235965864362_n.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Incredible winds here today as well. Bad luck too because yesterday was recycling day, and everyone on the street has at least two bins to be collected. Unfortunately there was glare ice everywhere and all the large trucks had to be taken off the road, so no collection. We thought they'd come today so we all left the bins at the curb; when the winds arrived there was a garbage storm of pop cans, wrappers, food containers and plastic water jugs absolutely everywhere.

Latest posts