Your Weather, 2021

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That surprised me. Down here 1" of snow would shut everything down. We just can't handle it, physically or mentally. Where you are I would have expected you to not even notice a 2" snow as far as traffic accidents in the news.

IT seems around here that people forget how to drive in snow. Ice etc. between winters. Accidents like crazy r=the 1st winter weather event!
I learned to drive only after I moved away from Wisconsin, and spent most of my first 20 years of driving in southern California, where snow is a "once in a blue moon" event. When I moved back to Wisconsin (having never driven there) I just assumed that drivers here would be used to the snow, and drive more safely. Nope. The first snow here = accidents everywhere. A Sherriff deputy that I knew told me that is not only due to reckless driving, but that the first snow releases oil from the road surface, making it extra slippery.

But poor judgement & recklessness are the cause of most Winter accidents. A couple years ago a huge pile-up on the highway just outside my job made national news. There had been a heavy snow, and strong winds were blowing snow continuously across the road from an adjacent farm field. It was white-out conditions, but nobody slowed down. They were never able to determine what started it - whether someone stopped within the snow band or spun out - but it caused a chain reaction. People just kept driving blindly into the snow cloud, at full speed. Over 100 cars crashed into the pile up; one person died, there were a lot of serious injuries, and most vehicles were totalled. Between the accident investigation & the extent of the damage (which covered 1/2 mile of the road) it took over a day just to clear the highway. :(

2019 chain-reaction pileup

I've had a few near misses (due to reckless drivers) but drive very defensively in the snow. One of those was following a snow plow on the highway after a heavy snow, which was throwing up a white-out cloud across all lanes. I followed a safe distance behind at reduced speed; but a car went speeding past me into the cloud, evidently thinking it could pass the plow. A few moments later it re-emerged from the cloud - stopped directly in front of me. I was able to avoid it, and observed the driver falling in behind me at my speed... hopefully a little wiser.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This isn't quite weather news. I'll say, it's weather-related :).

The length of winter shadows: The teevee weather person said that today was supposed to have "freezing fog." Maybe later in the day and it's beginning to be a little overcast but still sunny.

A shadow just before 1 December of something just over 72" was 205" long. Today, it's 209" long. I'll try to remember that if it's a sunny day at "high noon" to measure again ;).

digitS'
That phenomenon cost me a garlic crop one year. My largest home garden runs E-W, parallel to the neighbor's 6' wooden fence. Before starting that garden, I had noted the position of the shadow in early May, and erected the garden fence at that point. That worked perfectly for the Summer garden. But when planting garlic along that line in the Fall, I failed to consider the longer Winter shadows. So when Spring came, that area was the last to thaw, and to dry out. All of that garlic rotted. :( Lesson learned, at cost.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
this time the winds mostly went north of us so the power company is working hard to restore power. i checked on the status of the power company in the UP of MI just because i was curious and they've got fewer people without power up there than those in the upper part of lower MI.

as for recycling, they tell us here that if the wind is bad to just wait until next time because it can get blown around, we only have smaller bins without covers and they can get knocked over by heavy winds. i sure don't like having to fish all that out of the ditch either so to me it was always common sense. it's clean stuff and it doesn't smell to hold it for another week.

@Carol Dee i sure hope the fence didn't mess up your siding!
They warned us too that we'd lose power, but luckily that never happened.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That surprised me. Down here 1" of snow would shut everything down. We just can't handle it, physically or mentally. Where you are I would have expected you to not even notice a 2" snow as far as traffic accidents in the news.

i think the first few snows in any area take some time to get used to the new reality that is settling in for the winter... that's one reason why i went shopping and running erands today instead of tomorrow. snow might happen tomorrow.

it wasn't too bad, but busy in all places i went.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned to drive only after I moved away from Wisconsin, and spent most of my first 20 years of driving in southern California, where snow is a "once in a blue moon" event. When I moved back to Wisconsin (having never driven there) I just assumed that drivers here would be used to the snow, and drive more safely. Nope. The first snow here = accidents everywhere. A Sherriff deputy that I knew told me that is not only due to reckless driving, but that the first snow releases oil from the road surface, making it extra slippery.

isn't that similar to how a rain in arid Southern CA would play out with the road being very slippery until the oil could be washed off?

i'm going to open another thread on winter driving tales. having made the trip from the UP to downstate several times a year for 15 years i had some pretty fun rides and drives. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
still 45,000 people without power up north. :( snowing today, cold tonight, Mom is shovelling (She Told Me In No Uncertain Terms) today.

with the weather change yesterday i had a mild headache almost all night and barely slept. this morning for breakfast i had a Coke. sometimes the caffiene can provide enough of a jolt to get me out of that so at least i can sleep.

i slept for a few moments, but i really need to crawl back under the covers and try again. for a little while i was getting the flairs in my vision which happen when i'm aiming for a migraine but those have faded away. i usually don't have migraines but once in a while they happen. the only real good thing about them is that they don't really hurt painfully they just make it difficult to see (light and noise are so intense they seem painful but they're really not it's just sensory overload) and my best response to them is to just hide under the covers and try to sleep, by the time i wake up they're gone and all is normal. i don't think i've even had any flairs in about five years. i was just telling Mom last night that i haven't seen rainbows in a while so whatever in my brain may have finally broken enough that it doesn't happen any more or it fixed itself. this morning it all just thumbed it's nose at me to point out what do i know? ha! :)

i hope everyone has a great day! i'm not too likely to be doing much of anything here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another 2+ inches of snow has fallen on the 2" already on the ground.

I've been out sweeping the backsteps and then, re-shoveling the path to the garage. The snow is still falling and the sky is heavy with overcast. The shoveling of the path through the yard was pretty much done by feel ;). Difficult to see where the path was yesterday afternoon and both storms have brought us such soft snow that just pushing the shovel in the easiest direction, gets the job done the best way :).

Snow blind? Yeah :D. Those with snow shovel/travel experience know how there are plenty of times when the snow is falling when it's difficult to know where the "Earth" begins and the "atmosphere" ends.

:) Steve
more shoveling ahead but it can wait until the sweatpants and jacket have been swapped for the bathrobe.