Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Major Snowstorm may be coming this week to the interstate 90 highway where it passes through the Cascade Mountains.

That's not what is funny. Checking the weather there, the WS has current information for Stampede Pass, not Snoqualmie Pass where i90 is. (Can check the highway department. Interestingly, both passes are warmer this morning than our 19°f [-7C]). I looked up Stampede Pass in Wikipedia since I knew nothing about it. Just a few miles from Snoqualmie. The funny part is reading about the naming of that pass: It was a stampede of workers during the 1880's and when the pass was being explored. They had learned that they weren't allowed to be fed because they were no longer working for the railroad. Ha!

There is quite a bit of original written history in Wikipedia on exploration and the construction of the nearly 2 mile tunnel through the mountains, still used today. LINK

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
rain forecast for Christmas Eve day this year and no snow for Christmas. I'm ok with that...
Me too. It means safer highways for those traveling to visit family for the holidays.

The only downside of that (a very minor downside compared to the safety of others) is that I usually wait for the first really cold day of December to put my seeds away. It appears I'll be waiting until January this year. Guess there's time for another cup or two... :caf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
PJs and slippers!??

Good Heavens. Was that in a car?

A neighbor went outside in his bathrobe to put something in his garbage while forgetting that his son in law had changed the outside locks. Daughter and SIL had returned to their home about 800 miles away (southern Oregon coast).

He said that he spent some time in his garage before having the courage to bother his nextdoor neighbor, a single mom. She allowed him in to sleep on her sofa until a locksmith could open a door the next morning.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too. It means safer highways for those traveling to visit family for the holidays.

yes that too! :)

The only downside of that (a very minor downside compared to the safety of others) is that I usually wait for the first really cold day of December to put my seeds away. It appears I'll be waiting until January this year. Guess there's time for another cup or two... :caf

i've been reorganizing the past week or so and it is getting better a bit at a time. today not much got accomplished along those lines here, but i did run errands and realized that i hadn't eaten breakfast yet so when i got home a few minutes ago i had breakfast lunch and dinner all in one go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Despite all those green leaves and appreciation of daylight, I've been able to survive some cold. Originally, my entire little family came north in 1968, returning to the area where my mother had lived as a small child. I was just looking at a Weather Service chart showing low temperatures for next week using information from 1940's to the present. That week in 1968 was the coldest.

I have already used this weather thread in a rather free style way but we are soon running out of thread and days in 2021 ;). Weather drama is kinda the Name of the Game for some of us this time of year!

WS predictions for the immediate future are rather dramatic. Already mentioned is the possibility of a major snowstorm closing passes. What comes next? The WS says that predicting winter cold is difficult. One factor is if there is snow on the ground. We are right now having another little storm. There just isn't much moisture in this snow. Rolling it into a ball doesn't seem possible - I haven't seen a single neighborhood snowman!

Yesterday was the second coldest for average temperature, this month. Prediction holds, today may be the second warmest for the entire month. We might not have a White Christmas if about 6" of snow disappears. We will have to see what this next storm brings for our elevation. Anyway, snow cover will effect next week's winter cold.

So, Montana and the Northern Plains are gonna get hit with cold! Will that be on this side of the Rockies, also?

Steve