Your Weather, 2021

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like you are in trouble, @flowerbug .

Kayaks handy?

while this may look bad it really wasn't much of a threat to damaging the house that was 2 feet too low:

100_7072_Glug_Stop_thm.jpg

100_7082_Glug_Max_thm.jpg

as long as we have power the sump pump will keep the crawl space dry enough. at about 4 feet then we'd have to worry about getting water in the house itself, but that would take such a major amount of water in this area (which is very flat) all at once that it would be something like a hurricane level even just stopping right over us for an entire day and that would mean that major cities downhill from us would be underwater long before we'd have that kind of trouble. we're actually in a pretty good spot in that regards.

to flood us longer term you'd somehow have to raise the entire Lake Michigan and Lake Huron basin by 20-30ft and while that does go up and down (near an all time high just a few months ago but it has gone down now) it would be many years of massive rains to do that. i don't think we have to worry about that.

temporary heavy storms are where the flash floods we get come from. they often drain away within a short period of time. all the fields around us are not set up to retain water but to get it run off as quickly as possible.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it snowed last night, wet heavy snow, enough that we got the shovel out this morning and cleared the driveway. it would have been perfect snowman making snow if i felt like playing out there, but that didn't really sound like something i wanted to do today so the snow now sits there in the little piles and will melt. i think this week we have a mix of slightly above freezing and some days below freezing so finally we're getting back to more seasonal weather again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be one of those days ...

It was 20°f at midnight, 17° at 7 AM, 13° at noon (Celsius: -6°, -8°, -11°) and now snowing lightly. So, the high temperature for the day will probably have been at midnight.

@Gardening with Rabbits and the Weather Service are sure to have it right, it will be a cold week. I'll predict two mornings below zero. This isn't at all unusual. Expected. It's uncommon to go through a winter with no below zero weather and the warmth of the '20-'21 winter was record breaking!

About every half dozen years, we can expect some -15°f (-26°C) weather. That puts us in hardiness zone 5, I suppose. This winter week with subzero, the soil will freeze down several inches since there is so little snow cover insulation. We will see what next week will bring.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is -26C/-14.8F with the wind chill right now, according to the local airport. It feels colder. I open the door and it looks like smoke is blowing in from outside. :sick
We had a mist yesterday and going out in it made me sneeze.
Last night as I opened the door too let the dog out a thick fog rushed inside my home and it almost smelled like smoke, yuk

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It’s 70 degrees outside right now with a high of 75 for New Year’s Day. It’s supposed to storm all week with severe weather and possible tornado risks for several days. I think someone needs to remind Mother Nature that this is supposed to be December.
Mother nature needs to remember how to be natural again

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother nature needs to remember how to be natural again

nature remembers via seeds and spores - things that can become alive again given the right conditions. the other living creatures remember through procreation where technically the cells do not die in reproduction they just go through phases of growth, division and then more reproduction - we are the unbroken cell line of all of our ancestors back to when life got going - all of these generations were influenced by conditions and selected to survive by those conditions and also survived after they became more mobile because they could react to conditions and then eventually also change their own environment to make it more suitable for even more life (and thus more generations).

then there are the borderline things that some people do not consider alive (a virus outside a cell is not what i would consider alive, but it has the potential to live again once it infects a new host and can replicate and then be dispersed).

bits of genetic material left behind when bacteria, viruses, etc. die off but those bits degrade if not somehow preserved. those remains can be also somewhat infectious and incorporated into bacteria, viruses and other creatures. not all is destroyed but most of it will be eventually. if anything being exposed to the sun will destroy a lot of organic materials. UV rays of different kinds...

the biggest challenge for us is not letting nature remember but to just stop being so stupidly destructive with our actions (including the wastes we generate). once we get out of the way nature can do a lot to recover. we can help recovery by increasing diversity instead of stripping areas bare and then abandoning them - a little work can go a long ways.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was about 14 when I went to bed and either I am keeping the house warmer or I am handling the cold better, but also I changed the rabbit water about 4:00 and when I went out about 9 I thought it would be frozen solid but just had some ice but they do have a lot of straw in there. My brother started me on 6000 mg of vitamin C, taking 3000 in morning and 3000 at night and with it take a tablespoon and a half of nutritional yeast. It has something to do with Linus Pauling's protocol for circulation and I think it helped. Last winter I had some trouble with the cold, but also I have been taking a lot of vitamins and maybe my thyroid is working better. Tonight it will be 2 and feel like -7. Saturday is supposed to be the last of the worst of it.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
High of 73 today. It’s cloudy but the sun keeps trying to peek out. We’re supposed to get pop up storms today, possibly severe. They are saying it should mainly be wind but tornadoes and hail are possible. We’re supposed to have severe weather again on New Years and they are saying maybe snow on Sunday. Snow is always unpredictable here though.

Latest posts