Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, phenology has some ideas about planting, @flowerbug . It's true - plants in the wild are responding to past weather but ... maybe we can say that they are on the trend line :).

I once noticed that I was being properly conservative sowing pea seed when the Oregon Grape began to bloom. People enjoy it as a shrub for the yard but it also grows as a native plant here. (So, its got cred ;).)

The temperature outdoors hit 70°f yesterday afternoon. This morning, 32°. I wonder how many TEG members live where there is a 38° difference between morning and afternoon temperatures. Challenging for outdoor plants!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, phenology has some ideas about planting, @flowerbug . It's true - plants in the wild are responding to past weather but ... maybe we can say that they are on the trend line :).

I once noticed that I was being properly conservative sowing pea seed when the Oregon Grape began to bloom. People enjoy it as a shrub for the yard but it also grows as a native plant here. (So, its got cred ;).)

The temperature outdoors hit 70°f yesterday afternoon. This morning, 32°. I wonder how many TEG members live where there is a 38° difference between morning and afternoon temperatures. Challenging for outdoor plants!

Steve

thank you for teaching me a new word (again! :) )...

3xhhheather

Leafing Out
Reaction score

Steve

Currently dealing with this, but thankful that I have plenty of backups. Learned my lesson years ago when an 80-degree day turned into a freeze the next morning.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know the word phrenology... so guessing that phenology was reading bumps in the soil? no, i'm just being silly. :)

as for such wide temperature swing is something you may see in more arid climates and those with elevations as both moisture and more air holds in the heat better.

sun on rocks and reflective arrangements including water can help provide some buffer.

in the north heat storage is always something to ponder.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Storming today. Had a double rainbow earlier.
480DB896-87B0-4C4E-AA1E-0BB54C78756E.jpeg
869AC020-F5BE-4FD4-87F8-E44D04126B30.jpeg
822CAC12-3855-4B53-805B-FC6EFE630D54.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not much rain the past few weeks. will need the hose or watering cans to get things planted and moist enough to sprout until later this week perhaps. was thinking today i could plant peas, but no, it's too cold and windy. maybe tomorrow at least no more frosty nights later this week.

this coming week we go from the low 50sF (10-15C) to 81F (27C) in just a few days and then back to 60sF (16-21C). some chances of rain from Tuesday night into Friday.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, a "rainy day."

One could recognize the hope in the information coming from the Weather Service and some of the broadcast weather people. It amounted to about 1/10th of an inch. That keeps the 2021 numbers at more than 50% of normal but ... let's see ... 61%. Some snow fell at the highest elevations - that is good.

Still a chance of some sprinkles.

Steve

Latest posts