Your Weather, 2022

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i brought in the rain-gauge a few moments ago as i didn't want it to get broken by freezing. a lot of chances of frost now and the garden is mostly done so no need to wonder how much rain we've had.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Post#1,611
@Artichoke Lover , I saw on WeatherNation a prediction of 1/3 of the country in frost/freeze late this weekend.
There is some folklore about the number of fog mornings in August, and snow in January, I Think.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

Winter Storm Warnings

What we hear more often than not is how much snow will you get? When will the winter storm warnings start? (And when will it end!?) Well, according to our extended forecast, there should be quite a few significant winter weather disturbances nationwide in 2022-2023. A few of these dates include:

1) The first week of January in the Rockies and across the Plains. During this time, we see good potential for heavy snow that may reach as far south as Texas and Oklahoma, followed by a sweep of bitterly cold air.

2) January 16-23, we’ll raise another red flag for bouts of heavy rain and snow across the eastern two-thirds of the country followed by what might be one of the coldest outbreaks of arctic air we have seen in several years. How cold? Try 40 degrees below zero!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gotten as cold as -25 in the past. Glad my hay and straw have been in the barn since June!
Now, I need to get a good pallet of pine shavings and Equine Fresh pine pellets.
Bought only 40 bales straw, so no freebie bales to my neighbor in the Spring, sorry.
Next week I will be winterizing 2nd story windows, even though it's supposed to get into the 60's for highs in the next week. Gotta clean and put my porch/LR window east facing storm window.
I WISH I had more of these! I dunno how old it is, but there are NO drafts in the LR there.
Salsa Party is over, last bean harvest will be Sunday, Geraniums and the lone Tuberous begonia come inside next week, cintronella plant is already inside--might use some rooting hormone and cut and grow more, since I saw same in a greenhouse this summer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every recent morning here at home, temperatures are below 40° (4C).

Every afternoon, temperatures above 70° with tomorrow and Sunday at 77° (21 to 25C).

The Weather Station at the not-too-distant airport is expecting the most October days 70 & above in 140 years of records .

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When was the last time you saw a motor grater being used to remove the rocks thrown up on the road by waves? This was a recent storm at Homer Ak, this is the Homer spit. In places it’s not much more than 100 ft. wide, big water on both sides.
Id imagine the beach coming was GREAT the next day🙄

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When was the last time you saw a motor grater being used to remove the rocks thrown up on the road by waves? This was a recent storm at Homer Ak, this is the Homer spit. In places it’s not much more than 100 ft. wide, big water on both sides.
Id imagine the beach coming was GREAT the next day🙄

the guy out jogging...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
four really nice days in a row in the forecast now so that will really help out with finishing up the house staining project and also this coming week some other nice days in the forecast so i can get back to putting gardens up for the winter.

*whew* i was wondering if we'd have enough nice and warm enough weather for everything i needed to get done and now it looks like there is a chance. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Air Quality is finally well into the Good. ...sigh...

We had about a 1/2" of rain. It's 39°f (4°C) outdoors and I'm surprised that it is that cool with all this humidity but then, what do I remember about humidity
;)
? Anyway, it's late October with long nights of darkness.

A 90% chance of rain on Monday and I just bet that we see a sprinkling of snow before and after and finally, a first frost.

Thoughts on moving heavy pots to protect from frost. I'll be needing to air-up the tires on my hand truck!

Steve

Latest posts