Reaction score
It's raining here again this morning

Here is the picture of the tiny slugs I mentioned

I enlarged the picture
20221025_110048.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The stars were bright when I ventured out to the back steps at 5. I felt (with my nose :D) that we may have reached the time when the immediate environment no longer smells of smoke.

A couple of rainstorms and perhaps another 1/2" of rain over the next 24-36 hours. The webcam at the ski area, just off the pass into Montana shows a nice Winter landscape :). I expect that all of our nearby hilltops will be bright with snow by the time the weather is nice enough to return to the garden, maybe Friday 🤞 .

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
FINALLY we are getting a decent rain here! I thought there was a window for me to burn my burn barrel contents this morning, but I get to the door and it starts to pour, again.
We Need the rain, so today's a tomato canning day!
That's the way turn one lost job into another, good thinking 👍

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The same old/same old ... except that this "same old" is cloudy skies and rain. Except (again) how can you have a 90% chance of rain but "less than 1/10th of an inch expected?" 42° (6°C) this AM, staying below 50 (10C) thru the afternoon.

I guess that I really should be content that there is such an absence of drama to the 2022 weather. It isn't that I am accustomed to drama. In fact, we don't often have BIG storms. It's mostly the concern about drought and the chance of the loss of the evergreen forests. And, it's a change for the gardening practices.

I'm hoping that tomorrow afternoon's winds aren't too bad and I, at least have an okay time carrying sprinkler pipe and stakes out of the garden. The property owner tells me that he still intends to have the tractor guy in to till. I don't know what the guy will think with the mess of weeds occupying the owner's side. I sure don't want the seeds carried over to my garden. But, oh well, it would save me 4 hours + of tilling with the Craftsman ... sorta

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
frosted again last night. forecast still warm, but now chance of showers for Monday and Monday night. that's ok, i can use a day off if it does rain. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, i see that On Wednesday AM, i thought that i'd be in the garden on Thursday.

Didn't happen. The Weather Service changed reality and there were winds above 30mph with wind chill below freezing. Nope, I'm not carrying around 30' long metal sprinkler pipes if'n I don't have to in those conditions. I mean, there has to be some value to being retired, right? Waited until Saturday :D.

Today might be an okay day to be out in the garden but I'm still waiting for that killing frost so the tiller can make its way thru the beans, etc. The light frost a week ago was a good start, albeit a month + later than normal. By Wednesday, we should have had that frost, perhaps, that very morning. There may also be snow by Wednesday afternoon but it's possible that I can have a few hours of tilling, which would be a good start. Possible.

You know, I like paying attention to the weather, the forecasts by those who have training in the science. Paying attention to the world around me. The life that surrounds us. I was outdoors talking to 2 guys yesterday. Suddenly, I saw what might have been an eagle circling in the sky beyond one guy's shoulder. It was a little too distant for me to interrupt the conversation by drawing attention and pointing at it. I couldn't really know whether it was an eagle or one of our big hawks, far more common.

Anyway yes, I once moved sprinkler pipes on a regular schedule in a field. Back on our farm, as a kid, it was flood irrigation with me out with a shovel ... directing the flow. The canal was concrete but our ditches in the fields were not. On the bigger farms during my 20's, it was "pressure" and me carrying pipes into proper alignment and turning valves. Then, I'd go off to college classes and collect a pitifully small check from the farmer, twice a month. Income increased when I went off to work at a gas station, changing oil, pumping gas, washing windshields ... attending classes. Took some of the life away from me, tho.

Steve :)