Your Weather, 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Now that TWC is over their Kenan snorgasm, we can focus on Our snow, which WE don't get muich of, but have to be prepared for, nonetheless.
Today I MUST pull out the snowblower and run the old gas out of it, the park it behind the 2007 Ram, where I left room. It is a gas powered, electric start, and I store it's dedicated extension cord coiled around the handles.
DH and I already prepped the tractor back in December, so IT'S ready to rock and roll.
I have been watching the daily TWC forecast on my phone and it has varied between 3 in to 6.5 in for my neck of the woods. RIght now "Snowstorm Landen" will start as rain on Tuesday, turn to an ice mix when everybody is home for the night, then start snowing.
DH has a dr appt at 2:30PM on Wednesday. :somad:somad:somad
I have to drive him there bc if we get a whiteout he cannot see to drive.
I can handle pretty much ANY bad winter weather AS LONG AS I am solo on the road. It is the idiots who:
1) always drive too fast and think that you should use cruise control in the middle of a snowstorm
2) want to pass me and Then turn suddenly
I will need to alter my route home to turn early and drive through DD's town north of us, then on THAT country road bc it should be empty.
Done it before, but still hate it.
I was wanting ALL of us to just stay home Wednesday!!!
BTW: I used to feel sorry for the drivers in the ditch, but NOW I know that they practice bad driving habits and it eventually catches up to them.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can handle pretty much ANY bad winter weather AS LONG AS I am solo on the road. It is the idiots who:
1) always drive too fast and think that you should use cruise control in the middle of a snowstorm
2) want to pass me and Then turn suddenly
IMO the cruise control should be automatically disabled during bad weather. Just wire a cruise control "kill" switch, triggered by the wiper motor... if wipers on, cruise off, easy peasy. That safety mod that wouldn't add much to the sticker price either.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it really doesn't take much sometimes. as a kid i was going around a 90 degree corner at a very low rate of speed because it was ice. right at the end of the turn i made the mistake of hitting the gas while i still had a very slight turn still going. i ended up doing a complete donut in the road and then went off the road and went between a fence and a mailbox and then drove back out onto the road. this was one of the times my good reflexes and hand eye coordination (from playing hours of pinball) saved me from hitting anything. i'm glad i was able to learn that lesson without doing any damage.

previous to that i had done some practice driving in parking lots on snow and learned how to control my car and the feels of various skids and how to come out of them and such. drivers training course was in the summer during high school. no snow or ice driving then...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , DW's early January dental appointment was canceled at 7:30AM by the office.

That was 2 hours before she had to be there. I'd already cleared the necessary route for the car but I was sure pleased that we didn't have to drive thru all the overnight snow that day. Maybe you will be that lucky.

This morning, we had snow that amounted to 1/16th of an inch berms where the passing cars blew it off the frozen asphalt ;). The Weather Service is promising us more this evening. The Canadian radar especially is showing a circular path for the snowstorms but they don't amount to much. We will see what happens later today/tonight.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you feel your pain on drivers who pass and turn. Or pass and then SLOW down to speed I am going....

How do you know they have cruise on? Cruise should only be used on multi lane roads & never in weather-rain, snow, ice, etc.

Other drivers are the reason I could not be a delivery person & not go to jail..... Hate it when people go to right to turn left or stop to turn right....& of course signals are optional! There isn’t enough coffee to make me chill after that.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you feel your pain on drivers who pass and turn. Or pass and then SLOW down to speed I am going....

How do you know they have cruise on? Cruise should only be used on multi lane roads & never in weather-rain, snow, ice, etc.

Other drivers are the reason I could not be a delivery person & not go to jail..... Hate it when people go to right to turn left or stop to turn right....& of course signals are optional! There isn’t enough coffee to make me chill after that.
About once a month we get passed by someone in a pick up with a big trailer with just enough room to pass before their turn. But of course in order not to speed past it they slam on their brakes and no they never use a turn signal. It’s usually at the same turn too. Also can’t count how many times I’ve watched people ride in the wrong lane for a 1/4 mile or more before they make a left turn..... People around here are absolutely terrible drivers and most don’t have insurance and a lot of drivers don’t even have a license!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
About once a month we get passed by someone in a pick up with a big trailer with just enough room to pass before their turn. But of course in order not to speed past it they slam on their brakes and no they never use a turn signal. It’s usually at the same turn too. Also can’t count how many times I’ve watched people ride in the wrong lane for a 1/4 mile or more before they make a left turn..... People around here are absolutely terrible drivers and most don’t have insurance and a lot of drivers don’t even have a license!

don't get me started...

when i lived in TN one of the ways people took out the trash was to throw it in the back end of their truck so that eventually it would blow out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the weather forecast this morning was chance of rain after 1pm. 4pm no rain yet, but it is now cloudy out there and i can see that the storm is kinda aimed at us here so perhaps this is our chance at last for a refresh on the snow later on tonight. :) it always looks so much nicer out there with fresh snow on top. :)

in the meantime i have zero ambition for anything else. chores done. Mom napping. time for me to take a nap too. i'm tired. :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’re supposed to get up to 4 inches of rain over Wednesday and Thursday. We need it though. It’s starting to get dry here and there are small wildfires in various places across the state. We’ve got a lot of smoke near the house right now and don’t know if it’s a small wildfire or a huge burn pile. Someone managed to set one of the fields closer to town on fire last week.

Latest posts