Your Weather, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Totally Crazy fog.

A nearby airport has 1/16th of a mile visibility ...

Outdoors, it's about the same as when I'd head out as a kid from the farmhouse on my 1 mile walk to the bus stop in Oregon's Rogue River Valley. I might have trouble seeing from one side of the road to the other. If I was really unlucky, the smudge pots would still be smoking in the pear and peach orchards along the road. But, if it was that bad, Mom would usually drive me to the bus stop in the Dodge.

Steve

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I found these glove/mittons at Rural King. Gave a set to my SIL and then realized that I could Really use a pair, which I bought last weekend. This link has a different model, but they have 4 fingers lined inSIDE of the mitton. It gives more manual dexterity than a mitton, but still traps heat.
Here is our next weather warning for tonight:

Wind Chill Advisory from TUE 8:00 PM CST until WED 9:00 AM CST

Action Recommended

Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By

Lincoln - IL, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Portions of central, east central and west central Illinois

Description

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM CST WEDNESDAY... WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as 20 below zero. WHERE...Portions of central, east central and west central Illinois. WHEN...From 8 PM this evening to 9 AM CST Wednesday. IMPACTS...The cold wind chills could cause frostbite if precautions are not taken. ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Frostbite can occur in as little as 30 minutes. Limit exposure outdoors and dress appropriately for the cold.

Check my thread for pictures. ;)
Post#59

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zsun-png.46835

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the local Weather Service says:

Screenshot_2022-01-26-07-59-02_kindlephoto-73570661.png
Notice that it is "So far." They also predict 3 more days of fog this week. Without a little snostorm on the weekend (30-40% chance), there may be a record setting number of days of dense fog for that airport.

This neck of the woods sure doesn't feel like a part of the Pacific Northwest thru the summers and autumns. Probably more like the PNW in Juneau, you know, at this time of year ;).

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It only got down to -14 F. (actual temp) last night. Not the coldest its ever been here, but certainly enough to keep me indoors. And cold enough to keep me stoking the wood stove until the wee hours.

Right about this point in January a few years ago, we got down to -28 F. To put such cold into perspective... consider that 72 F. is considered to be a comfortable indoor temperature. A frost, at 32 F. is 40 degrees below the comfort zone.

So if the temperature reaches -28 F., it is 100 degrees below the comfort zone. :ep

Last edited:

Latest posts