Your Weather, 2022

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had heat here like I've never known in my lifetime. My thermometer on the coop only measures up a 100 f so I really couldn't tell you how hot it has been

inside my home is really humid 68 to 69 most mornings

We haven't had the downpours like some parts of the country and never did get the thunder storms we were told we would get however the other morning we had a little morning rain and some drizzle a few days ago

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a line of storms decending upon us in a few moments. so more rain for us today, but at least the rains of yesterday had time to soak in. Mom checked the rain gauges this morning and they were over five inches. almost all of that has soaked in now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 20% & 40% chances of rain haven't quite done it. There was thunder and the street flooding for the mountain community near the MT border will be water in the nearby river. Lower elevation soil moisture? Nope.

Skipped over the middle of a 3x/week watering schedule as temperatures dropped into low 90's. On the drive to the distant garden, there was some wet asphalt, completely dry at both ends of the trip.

Another 40% tomorrow and the WS is threatening us with a mid-week 100° (38°C). I hope nearer to reality says it ain't so.

Steve
harvested buckets of sweet corn, cucumbers and a few melons yesterday. also, some ripe super chilies & tomatoes. no idea why the greenhouse bed of bok choy and lettuce is growing nicely and hasn't baked!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 99°f yesterday afternoon (37°C).

For several hours before it set, the sun was a red orb in the western sky. This morning, the air quality has deteriorated to "unhealthy for sensitive groups."

The official "trace" of rain for the month and the hottest average temperature ever recorded for August (140 years of records) isn't "doing it." Wildfires in the NW are somewhat in the characteristic areas as previous, recent years. The border between California and Oregon is burning up. And, the eastern slope of the Cascade Mountains up near apple country has 2 fires.

There is a fire in the Selkirk Mountains north of here but nothing too close that wasn't contained a couple of weeks ago, that I'm aware of. This allows for some of this smoke to move out of the area and tomorrow for a gardening day may be better.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it has been toasty warm and humid and at midday it wasn't much of a breeze so that was it for dry bean picking. i'd gotten through most of the patches anyways that really needed it. chances of rain in the forecast for this afternoon and evening but i'm not sure we'll get any of it until it hits the ground.

tomorrow is forecast to be about 10-15F lower so i may have to get out there and mow after i get some tomatoes picked. no rain forecast yet for this coming week but the temperature will gradually go back up to the mid to high 80sF again.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s been the coolest rainest August in my memory and it’s turning into a cool rainy September. Normally August is our hottest month and the 2nd driest. With highways in the mid to upper 90s and little to no rain. This year we’ve had above average rain and highs in the low to mid 80s most days. The rain has really picked up the last few days. I think we’ve gotten around 5 inches this week with rain chances continuing to go up this next week.
8A6DC0CD-9BFF-42AC-ACB1-5ECB96DD7018.jpeg
2D46B297-EA5F-451D-AE2F-D512714F52E6.jpeg
F32D63F8-19E5-4C32-A5AC-AC379BA090FA.jpeg

The pictures are of flooding/ponding around the coop and on the lower part of property nearest the house.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 98* today in Alameda! House is dark cause all shades are pulled down. Kitchen is 86* so I shortened my sourdough bulk fermentation time by a half hour. Need the bread for Wednesday dinner so I'll bake early Wednesday so it can be very fresh.

Thank goodness our bedroom has an AC unit. That's where I like to read and watch tv so I'm very comfortable there.

Mary

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It’s been the coolest rainest August in my memory and it’s turning into a cool rainy September. Normally August is our hottest month and the 2nd driest. With highways in the mid to upper 90s and little to no rain. This year we’ve had above average rain and highs in the low to mid 80s most days. The rain has really picked up the last few days. I think we’ve gotten around 5 inches this week with rain chances continuing to go up this next week.
View attachment 51812View attachment 51813View attachment 51814
The pictures are of flooding/ponding around the coop and on the lower part of property nearest the house.
Just further south we have not had it so bad with rainfall. Every time I empty the garden gauge it seems at least 1 inch is in there. From the event you are showing we only had 2 inches. My brother is in Birmingham and he mentioned how much it rained.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand that some places on the Atlantic Coast had a record hot August, just as here! Maybe @catjac1975 can clue us in.

So both sides of the continent ... and ???
Here are some of the cities that it was the hottest August on record, LINK:

"Hartford, Connecticut, Providence, Rhode Island, & Worcester" - Massachusetts but my first noticed blip about this was from New Jersey.

Of Course: It would very much help if things were a little more "evened out."

Cooled down quite a bit here and we had a couple of pleasant "summer" days after a brief shower of rain. Some of the garden plants seem to be in recovery as a result. The air movement has mostly carried near by wildfire smoke elsewhere.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom turned the heat on this morning because it is so humid in here that she can't get her hanging fabric to dry enough. she didn't want to turn on the AC as it was already cool enough in here that she was putting on warmer clothes...

later today we'll probably turn the AC on. so there ya go...

when she was complaining last night that things weren't drying enough i was going to suggest that we turn on the heat just to make sure the furnace was even working before the fall heating season kicks in full force - then we got talking about something else and i didn't bring it up.

ok, time to get going, busy day again. this is the time of the year when i wish i could clone myself and get a lot more done.

Latest posts