Your Weather, 2022

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's official, going to -1 C/30 F Wednesday.
Gardening season is done for 2022. 🍁🍂
So I guess a lot of picking tomorrow? Maybe cover a few things?

We will be low 30's Tuesday & Wednesday nights. A fairly good chance of a frost/freeze one of those nights, but hopefully my garden makes it through. A lot of beans are just beginning to dry, the pumpkins are starting to ripen, I'd hate to pull all of that now. :fl I'll probably harvest all remaining gourds though (except the pumpkins) and cover the few pepper plants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was what I meant above... just couldn't find the right emoji. 🤫

they need a snowman with his hand held up to his ear leaning towards you like he's snooping, perhaps a few icicles hanging off his arms and carrot noze and a blue tint around the edges...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, it was 92°f (33°C) after a morning low of 47° (8°C). (How's that for a gain in temperature ;)?)

That was a record high for the last 20 years at the nearest airport. A more distant airport had a record 90° with about 130 years of records and it was the latest in the year for the thermometer to top 90.

A cooling off today and expected rain after midnight. Perhaps tomorrow, a rainy morning 🤞.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tale of 3 thermometers... the local weather station reports 43 F. to my computer, the outside temp sensor for my atomic clock says 38 F., and the thermometer on my garden fence says 35 degrees. Frost is already forming on the lawn, we are getting MUCH colder than predicted - this could be an early killing freeze. :( I harvested all remaining cucurbits today & covered my 12 pepper plants, anticipating a frost... but left all beans hanging. Bird Egg #3 is approaching shelly stage, but no dry seed yet. The pole bean trellises are an impenetrable jungle, I hope they hold enough heat for the beans to survive.

I almost forgot that the kalamondin tree (mini-orange) was outside too, but brought it inside. Normally I would have moved it into the greenhouse with a heater, but I have not yet replaced the panels broken by a wind storm earlier this summer.

I ran a cord out to the garden, and put a small heater & a fan in the "bean tunnel" between the Madagascar limas on one side, and the Gigandes runner beans & BE#3 on the other. Not much heat from the space heater, but the fan will spread the heat down the row, and the heavy leaf canopy should retain enough to protect the vines. :fl

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the forecast was off by quite a bit for us. i don't think we got much below 40F last night. that means (again if the forecast is right - which it may not be) that we have now a week or more of weather with the lowest overnight temps in the high 30sF. sunshine, dry, partly sunny to mostly sunny. yep, i'll take it, i can get a lot done in weather like this once the ground dries out enough that it won't stick to my shoes, shovel, hoe, knife, etc.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like we dodged the bullet this time. :celebrate Apparently the temp held at 34 F. last night. I just looked at the garden, everything looks OK. Not so good just West of me... if I had my rural garden this year, it would have frozen. Warm(er) weather now; if I am to believe the forecast, we should go past our average Oct 5th killing frost.

Mostly dry too, so like @flowerbug , I hope to get some work done in the gardens. I need to start prepping the garlic bed, which will still be in the rural garden. I also hope to have at least a small garden there next year. Weather permitting, I will till a strip in that garden too... and hopefully turn under some shredded leaves & wood ashes there, to restore some fertility.

Today though I will be baking some bread for church, and picking up grandson from school. Last night thieves stole the catalytic converters from ALL the school buses in the district - including the replacement buses sent in from other districts after the first theft the day before. All parents in the school district (DD included) woke up to find a "no busing" message on their phones. :mad: This is the second major cat converter theft in my area, it appears to be organized. As cold as it was this morning, I worry about the kids who left for their bus stop unaccompanied, waiting for a bus which will never come, and no one to pick them up. :(

Latest posts