Your Weather 2023

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are in a false spring. I know it's false but the trees don't. Peach, plum and nectarine trees are flowering. Blueberry is budding. Elderberry and mulberry trees are growing leaves. Sadly this happens every year and we get a freeze and all the flowers die.
Actually, I don't want to admit it's false spring either. I joined the trees in their confused state and started three trays of spring veggies. No one learns around these parts 😂 .

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
THIS is why I bought heat producing outdoor christmas strands a few years back. I lost so many peaches in the past, and they are my Favorite fruit from my fruit trees.
The cherries taste great, but they overproduce and it's a PITA to pick all of them.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A cold Arctic front arrived yesterday with powerful winds; not a good combination. I suspect we will be seeing lots of large tree branches on the ground. If we are lucky in a few days we will get a little bit of snow for insulation. Tonight will be -7C(19F). The weird thing is the cold snap is supposed to stick around for 2 weeks, with temperatures at or below freezing each night. One of our local garden gurus has said that while our winters have become milder overall, the lows that we experience have been deeper and more protracted; the current stretch of two weeks of freezing this late in winter would support that theory.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Winter Solstice:

The shadow of something 72" tall ..
. was 211" long, today,
. at "high noon,"
. 2 hours before the Solstice.

January 14th: Just before High Noon, The Sun came out, today!

The shadow of something 72" tall ..

. was 187" long. (Some REAL progress here!)
At 12 Noon today, 23 February: A 72” shadow was 112” long. It was 6°f (-14°C) this morning with a wind chill of -12°f (-24°C) at the nearest airport.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a bit treacherous (i use this word so rarely i had to look it up to be sure i spelled it right) out walking on top of the snow with a layer of ice. i would want shoes with spikes if i were having to actually work out there.

cold last night and today, with the sun finally coming out this afternoon.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was raining fairly heavily yesterday a rather cold, today it's cloudy and cold.

We are still be threatened with snow and have been for almost 3 months

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another two weeks (at least) of low temperatures, snow, and frost are incoming.

This time, all the cuttings and seedlings will stay safe in the greenhouse with a heating device. The warmth-loving varieties will stay in the living room - a mobile shelf with growing light is very practical.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They told us that snow was coming overnight, and they were right; looks like about 10". We live in a hilly area, so all of the little kids around here are going to have a good time sliding later this morning. It is starting to melt already though, so we will have to enjoy the blanket of pure white while it lasts. It sure makes for a beautiful winter scene.

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_042816259.jpg
    IMG_20230226_042816259.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts