Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Treasure Valley is about 400 miles (644 km) south of my home and garden, @heirloomgal .

With all the mining that went on in Idaho, one might think that a name like that would be applied elsewhere but it was primarily an agricultural area where a number of rivers join the Snake River before it's waters begin to flow north into Hell's Canyon through the Blue Mountains. Boise is the largest city found there.

The entire Inter-Mountain region is quite dry but benefits from all of those mountain ranges and their watersheds. Rivers and aquifers bring irrigation water to the lower elevations. Even where that water is not available, some crops can be grown because Winter snowfall provides the soil moisture.

If one thinks July is dry - August rainfall average about 1/2 of an inch. Realize that many crops, like wheat, are harvested about that time of year. Rain during the harvest would be neither useful nor good for these seed crops as they are brought into storage.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could send some of our rain to those of you living in dry climates who need it. I could probably count on one hand the number of rainless days we've had this month. My plants are pining for sunshine but the forecast is for another week of rain and overcast skies. My land resembles a jungle because outdoor work is on hold until things dry out.

Air quality here is impacted by smoke from the fires in Canada, and I find it incomprehensible that the eastern provinces are burning. Dry western provinces and our western states always are in danger from forest fires, but the idea of horrific fires in Nova Scotia and Quebec is hard to wrap my head around.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Good soaking rain for the first few hours this morning. Lots of cloud to cloud lighting, too.
:weee :weee :weee
More rain scheduled for this afternoon, so I must get out and DO!!
Rain forecasted through Sunday, 100% on Sunday, too!!!
I didn't THINK that this drought would last too long and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a wet July.
It has happened before...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks for asking. We are the only lights in town bc we have a basement generator that DH changed over to natural gas years ago.
We had a derechio and possibly an EF0 tornado. No deaths from the straight line winds and pea sized hail.
Some building damage.
Thanks for asking!!! :hugs
We lost our larch---NOT crying buckets bc it was a bitxx to mow around, and limbs down. NONE touched the house or garage.
One large limb hit our old cattle fencing by the street.
DH and I plan to drag limbs out to the north pasture this weekend with our tractor.
Three families in town got right to work clearing the streets of limbs and debris, and taking debris to a couple of locations where they can be piled up and burned.
I have wood for this year's Salsa Party now!
I had just finished graining the ponies and, since it's been dry I thought to fill their manger with hay, so That's where they three were during the storm.
I had neglected to unplug my laptop, but it suffered no damage, as you see.
I planned badly, was caught in the early heavy rain on my way back to the house, via the garage since I wanted to close the south garage door, then the whirlwind began, which I watched from the 32 inch north garage door.
One smaller limb came down in front of our side door, but did not block it.
All of the tomatoes around the cistern came through unscathed.
Had I gotten the rest out in the big garden I would have lost some.
Congratulate me on my procrastination!
Doggies were inside and the cats outside found shelter.
My 115yo house has NO windows on the 2nd floor, probably bc the house has seen this sort of thing before.
We REALLY needed the rain.
The damage, not so much.
Cars and trucks were in the garage.
One resident has her car buried in a large limb and isn't moving anything until the insurance company looks at it.
My Trustee friend called and told me to drive around town and talk to everybody and be a presence.
Then, she apologized for overstepping and suggesting it.
I told here that I WANT HER ADVICE!!!
She said that she didn't want the town hating on me.
Probably true...
Any, we are all well and the meat in the freezers will survive.

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The smoke here, (upstate NY) is awful, it's in the red zone on their charts for today and tomorrow. I have asthma and it's tightening my lungs. My eyes are scratchy, and my poor cat has scratchy eyes, too.
Even though this is bad, and it is..it has happened at least 42 times since 1790 when they started keeping written records of the weather. One time it actually blocked the sun it was so thick. If you're interested, google "New England's Dark Day" .
I usually love the smell of wood smoke, but this is just too much. I feel bad for everyone being impacted by this, both here and in Canada, and I hope they can get this under control very soon.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about those storms in ..

. SE Iowa, Central Illinois, & Indiana ..

. @Carol Dee , @ducks4you , @seedcorn ???
Again, we got a glancing blow! Less than 1/2 inch. I was about 8 miles from home when it started. Sky was black, winds got strong, and rain came in sheets. It was still dry under the trees when I got home! It rained for a little while but not long enough. Happy the really strong storms missed us though.