Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not.my.weather but, maybe some of you need a little something to cool you off a bit :).

It was 31° (0°C) in Stanley, Idaho this morning, elevation 6,253 ft (1,906 m). Coolest location in the 48 contiguous United States ;). Here's a picture from last week.

zstanley.png
Yes, that's snow in the Sawtooth Mountains there behind the town.

Steve
here at home this afternoon & 400+ miles (675 km) to the NW of Stanley, it was 94°f (34°C), ;)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner ,

is that rainstorm making national news in your hometown?

@donna13350 , you are in "upstate New York," maybe that's far enough north to be away from this storm.

And, @SPedigrees , the WS says that the storm is headed into Vermont.
Not as far as I know. We have gotten a lot of rain, but if you mean flooding, that can't happen to our house (well the basement can get flooded when roots grow into the septic system and make the toilet down there start to overflow, but were talking only an inch or two, and solving that is simply a matter of calling Roto Rooter to clear them again.). Yes, we only live about a mile from the Hudson, but we are on the top of a hill on top of a hill on top of ANOTHER hill, so we're extremely high up.
Some of the highways around us (like the Saw Mill River, which has an actual river right next to it.) flood pretty often, but dad went for takeout tonight (as is usual for a Sunday) and reported the roads he had to take had no problems.

Plus, our town seems to exist mostly under a sort of "weather barrier". Really really severe weather just doesn't seem to happen here, even when it happens nearby. It's actually probably been a couple of years since we even had a prolonged power outage (knock on wood). I HEARD a tornado landed pretty near us one Wednesday many years ago (when I was in NYC) but never actually saw it. (I was so grateful to the one cabbie who was willing to actually find a way to get me home that day I gave him a $20 tip on about a $5 ride.)

Usually, when they talk about the weather in the Hudson Valley, the mean either the Upper Hudson (which is a lot more rural and woody) or the other side in places like Duchess County.

I suppose that, had my sister waited to go home to the afternoon, she might still be stuck here due to the Amtrack rails being flooded, but she went this morning, and dad drove her there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
clear, sunny and warm today. chances of rain the rest of the week. have to get out and get picking and weeding. regular rotation schedule for weeding. goes quick if i can get them early. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something from a local NY newspaper:

Here at home, we have come close to some record afternoon HIGHS.

90F+ for this time of the year? our high is forecast for 88F, but i won't be out there checking...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still very dry here, all the rain & storms have thus far gone around us, or broken up when they hit our invisible protective shield. :rolleyes: Doesn't really bother me as a gardener, since I can irrigate & this weather allows me to work in the gardens every day. Plus, almost no mosquitos. :ya But the yard is getting really dry, and the farmers here REALLY need some rain to save their crops.

I've made a deal with the local deer & bunnies; I'll keep a patch of clover watered in the back yard, if they stay out of my garden. There were some language issues to overcome, but the treaty seems to be holding thus far. :lol:

Last edited: