Your Weather, 2024

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday was another warm enough day to be outside getting some more weeding done. also thinned out some plants to let the light in for the groundcover.

last night's forecast of rain actually did happen with more chances today and early evening. then we're maybe clear for rains until tomorrow night. it is ok with me since it was looking a little dry out there. i'm glad to not have to get the hoses out this early.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Frost tonight and tomorrow night, right on schedule. Our latest average frost is April 22nd.
BAD storm last night! We had rain coming in our (middle of the north first floor) bedroom window, so I shut it and All the other windows that were open bc of near 80's for the last week.
Might Even turn the heat back on for a few days.
All over by 10:15PM
Full sun and mid 50's today.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i saw some snow coming down a bit ago, but nothing major.

frosts in the forecast for the next several nights.

it went from nice and 70sF to cold and frosty.

i guess waiting to plant the peas and first beans is ok now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wrote on TEG several years ago that the Oregon grape (Mahonia) was blooming on May 2nd.

I saw several blooming yesterday. Those are my phenological cue to have the pea seed in the ground. That has always seemed to be a bit conservative so the seed is already in the garden. If I could mentally store the numbers available on the Weather Service website re: normals etc. maybe that would provide my cues but I respond better to flowers, doncha know?

A lot smaller pea patch this year ... less committed resources or more precious vines?

🤔 Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i saw some snow coming down a bit ago, but nothing major.

frosts in the forecast for the next several nights.

it went from nice and 70sF to cold and frosty.

i guess waiting to plant the peas and first beans is ok now.
flowerbug, do you typically plant peas and beans as soon as the last frost is behind you?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
flowerbug, do you typically plant peas and beans as soon as the last frost is behind you?

mid-April is the earliest for the peas, but like now, we do get bouts of frosts so peas can go in first and then i'll wait until there are no more forecasts of frost for a week before i'll try the beans, knowing that perhaps they may get frosted again once or twice.

tomorrow we have to mow and there's evenings of frost still in the forecast so i'm not likely to be planting anything for at least most of this week.

i need to finally decide where to put some of the peas.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rain, a bit snow, frost, and strong wind will last for another three days. All potted plants are taking shelter under roof. It might take another week to get rid of low temperature at night. Thankfully, most warmth-loving plants were sown late and are still tiny; they can easily stay indoors.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that I might be able to report yesterday morning that the sun rose into a clear sky without a hint of frost for the first time in 2024. But, it was not to be so – nearest wunderground volunteer had it at 29°f (-2⁰C). It was 67⁰f (20⁰C) yesterday afternoon.

This AM, I hung out 2 loads of washed clothes in pre-dawn moments. Only a few days has warm sunny weather and wash days arrived together for a few towels and such going out. There is now frost yet again on rooftops and the volunteer's thermometer is still falling at 34f (1⁰C). Maybe ;).

White clothes in the dryer — no doubling of clothes on the line yet so no discretion possible re: undergarments. :D We are officially on the border between Abnormally Dry and Moderate Drought. So, maybe next washday.

Steve