2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #22

Ram's Horn - Pole, Snap

I had grown this bean in the late 70's and early 1980's. Having first encountered the bean from John Withee's Wanigan catalog. The bean plants have very large leaves and long pods and produce a heavy load on your support system. They need to be supported very well. Every time I have grown this bean at least one of my pole supports always snap off and the ground level. This year was no exception. From now on I think will plant only two seeds of this bean around a pole support. This bean grew very well here this summer. Total Seed Harvest: 18.40 ounces (521 grams)

Ramshorn.JPG

Ram's Horn - Pole, Snap

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Red Eagle - Bush, Dry

Productive Red Kidney bean. First dry 5 to 6 inch pods close to 100 days. Large plants with dark green foliage. 10 plants produced just over one pound of beans. An original bean named by Robert Lobitz. Total Seed Harvest: 17.70 ounces (501 grams)

Red Eagle #2.JPG

Red Eagle - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Red Eyed Ranger - Bush, Dry

This is an outcross that I've grown for a long time and still it doesn't seem to want to stabllize. It throws off one or two off types each time I grow it. No more than that and always the same ones (Photos 2 & 3). I think it's a neat looking bean and hope it settles down some year and stays that way. Total Seed Harvest: 4.40 ounces (124 grams)

Red Eyed Ranger #1.JPG

Red Eyed Ranger - Bush, Dry

Red Eyed Ranger OT #1.JPG

Red Eyed Ranger Off Type #1 - Bush, Dry

Red Eyed Ranger OT #2.JPG

Red Eyed Ranger Off Type #2 - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Red Marbles- Pole, Dry

This bean usually grows very well, but a lot of poorly shaped and stained seed. Acquired this variety from my Liebenfels, Austria bean trading friend in 2013. Total Seed Harvest: 5.60 ournces (158 grams)

Red Marbles #2.JPG

Red Marbles - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rice Lake Little White - Semi Runner, Dry

Another of the many Robert Lobitz original beans. I acquired seed from a trade with a lady in Jefferson, Maine who had acquired the bean collection of a former SSE member who passed away. The germination on this seed was low for a 2013 grown seed crop. I planted 15 seeds and only one grew. Robert listed this bean in the 2001 SSE yearbook. That is likely the first time the bean was listed as he did not put in a previous listing year which he had done on many of his beans. Will plant it again in 2020 with this years fresh seed.

Rice Lake Little White.JPG

Rice Lake Little White - Semi Runner, Dry

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week I received another two Polish landrace beans.

Jeżycka (Yezhytska) - runner bean in Scarlet type, huge seeds. Bought by my friend from the Polish gardening forum at the Jeżycki Market in Poznań city (central-west Poland). Named by her.

JeżyckaTEBN.jpg
@Artorius , is that the bean's natural color, or is it a result of aging? Is it purple & black when fresh?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, Yes I have had your package for at least two weeks maybe longer. You grew really nice seed. I was really taken by the Adam's Family Six weeks. That light pink was so pretty compared to the seed I was given to me. All your beans are in the freezer waiting for the day when they can awaken again.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, Yes I have had your package for at least two weeks maybe longer. You grew really nice seed. I was really taken by the Adam's Family Six weeks. That light pink was so pretty compared to the seed I was given to me. All your beans are in the freezer waiting for the day when they can awaken again.

ok, thanks. :)

yes, it was much nicer seed returned than what i planted.

the AFSW's beans are not that resistant to marking or fungi once they start drying down, but that they are so early does make them worth further efforts - we'll see what happens with them in the future. :) maybe i'll get some interesting crosses from them.

Latest posts