2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hidatsa Shield showed low resistance to drought and heat, which were in late spring and summer in Poland. Many flowers fell, and the pods were poorly filled. This is my whole crop from three plants.

View attachment 33560

those look very nice! i have about five seeds that look that nice from several plants, i have a few other seeds which might be viable but i won't know until i try to grow them out again.

we'll try them again next year. :)

we had a lot of rains and not much sunshine for long periods of time. in our gardens with a lot of clay i usually will mound up rows to give the plants more drainage but some of them still won't do that well.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hidatsa Shield showed low resistance to drought and heat, which were in late spring and summer in Poland. Many flowers fell, and the pods were poorly filled. This is my whole crop from three plants.

Artorious, You didn't get many beans from your Hidatsa Shiled crop this year, but they are beautiful seeds. Nicely filled out and no stains on them from being exposed to too much rain all the time. Stains on seeds are really the begining of bacterial degredation.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #9

Flora Vista - Pole, Snap.

This bean had a very hard time growing this summer. Most of the seeds were small and shriveled. The bean comes out of one of the Will Bonsall outcrosses sent in 2015. Grown and named by one of our Candadian British Columbia Growers. Total Seed Harvest Was: 1.50 ounces (42 grams).

Flora Vista.JPG

Flora Vista - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Galloway 1.1 - Pole, Dry

This bean is a segregation of one of the outcrossed beans sent by Will Bonsall in 2015. I named the seed mother of this bean Galloway. So this name is still just a working title. This bean too had a tough summer in my big pole bean plot. Total Seed Harvest Was: 1.80 ounces (51 grams).

Galloway 1.1.JPG

Galloway 1.1 - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

George's Bean - Pole, Dry

Another bean with a hard time growing this summer. However it did better than some. It's been a baking bean for a very long time in the United Kingdom. Probably named after some King George along through history. Purchased this bean from Deaflora in Germany in 2013. Total Bean Harvest This Year Was: 5 ounces (141 grams).

George's Bean.JPG

George's Bean - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Golden Lima - Pole, Dry

Although this bean has lima in it's name. It is actually a Phaseolus Vulgaris. It's seeds are somewhat flattened and sort of mimics that appearance of a lima bean. This bean grew fairly well this summer in the same soil and plot where other varieties struggled. Total Seed Harvest Was: 11.45 ounces (324 grams).

Golden Lima.JPG

Golden Lima - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Graines De Cafe - Pole, Dry

The first time I grew this bean I had a wonder quality crop of seed. Had great drying weather that summer too. This year was a different story for this bean. Not as big of a seed crop and not as good looking seed also. It is usually a very productive bean. My Austrian bean trading friend in Liebenfels sent me this one in 2013. Total Seed Harvest Was: 12.20 ounces (345 grams).

Granes De Cafe.JPG

Graines De Cafe - Pole, Dry

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm assuming these are a bush bean? how do they compare to Top Notch (if you're familiar with those)?

so far in all of my attempts to find a better wax bean than Top Notch in terms of flavor and productivity i've not come close to a decent contender.

I've never actually grown them, but I have a pack of 2018 seed from Baker Creek and would be happy to send you some. Might be fun to run a test crop next to whatever you harvest from this year! :)

Latest posts