2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for the link!! 🥰

I think you mean Lazy Wife? (Lazy Housewife is a different bean) I'm growing Lazy Wife's Pole Bean too! I'd planned to freeze the seed, but what I received was old and needed a grow-out. Had difficulty getting them to swell until nicking the seed coat.

Did you have a good germination rate with your direct seeded Lazy Wife?
Oops! Yes!

My germination has been 3 out of 4, so good. We've had really wonky weather so I think it's taken it's toll on some of the beans, since I started putting the transplants out.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you so much for listing! Very interesting!
Most names are already familiar, but some I had to look up. And it is so international! Really once around the world..
How many plants do you usually do per variety?
Usually I plant from 3 to 6 for pole varieties, semi-runners and bush beans I do about 6. Sometimes a few more with the bush beans. I always keep some network seeds back just in case there are troubles! 🤞

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually I plant from 3 to 6 for pole varieties, semi-runners and bush beans I do about 6. Sometimes a few more with the bush beans. I always keep some network seeds back just in case there are troubles!
My usual number of beans to plant for a variety are 8 for pole beans and 10 to 15 for bush and semi runner beans. This year there will be two varieties of pole beans that I will be planting 12 to 16 seeds of them.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After some Delay i have planted Network beans May 21-22. The Frost free date and my favorite planting date of May 15th was missed due to the busy season at work and some rain.

I had purchased and cut the 1x2 strips per Bluejay recommendation. I cut the ends to a point, and pounded them in 12-14 inch with a post hole pounder which worked fine. I only had 1 pole that busted with the post hole pounder but that 1x2 strip was a bad one anyways, i will screw the 2 ft broken piece back on the strip and we will see how that works. Shouldnt be a problem.
The height potential for the pole bean varieties i think will allow a higher yield than my old method with cattle panels which worked well, but dont have the heigth potential as the new method.
Network varieties im growing:

1. Frost
2. O Driscoll
3. Natal coffee
4. Rote kipflerbohne
5. Nwambili
6. Senate soup Navy
7. Kings Knight
8. Dow Purple Pod
9. Evolutie
10. Hallados grandos

Non Networks
1.Georges Bean
2. Major Cook
3. Evening Moon
4. Nuns Bellybutton

I also have Brightstone, and Early Warwick planted, which were some bush varieities i had planted before I discovered the network. And Gauk. Also a long row of a green bean called seychelles.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After some Delay i have planted Network beans May 21-22. The Frost free date and my favorite planting date of May 15th was missed due to the busy season at work and some rain.

I had purchased and cut the 1x2 strips per Bluejay recommendation. I cut the ends to a point, and pounded them in 12-14 inch with a post hole pounder which worked fine. I only had 1 pole that busted with the post hole pounder but that 1x2 strip was a bad one anyways, i will screw the 2 ft broken piece back on the strip and we will see how that works. Shouldnt be a problem.
The height potential for the pole bean varieties i think will allow a higher yield than my old method with cattle panels which worked well, but dont have the heigth potential as the new method.
Network varieties im growing:

1. Frost
2. O Driscoll
3. Natal coffee
4. Rote kipflerbohne
5. Nwambili
6. Senate soup Navy
7. Kings Knight
8. Dow Purple Pod
9. Evolutie
10. Hallados grandos

Non Networks
1.Georges Bean
2. Major Cook
3. Evening Moon
4. Nuns Bellybutton

I also have Brightstone, and Early Warwick planted, which were some bush varieities i had planted before I discovered the network. And Gauk. Also a long row of a green bean called seychelles.
Oooh, lots of beans on your list that I hope to try someday 🥰

Very curious how the Natal Coffee, Evening Moon & Hallados Grandos will go. Very pretty beans!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm excited to be planting my beans out this weekend 🥳

Once Saturday arrives we are finally going to be smooth sailing with the weather. I cannot remember what the last 'moon 'situation' is to keep in mind for planting, new or full? Anyhow, that is often what people go be here for planting out crops like beans. It does tend to be pretty accurate when it comes to the last frost risk for the year, it's May 30th for the last new moon, June 14th the full moon. Weather looks like it will be in the low 20's C/ 68 F to about 75 F for the next while which is good; last year it got so hot so fast it was hard on the little plants.

I have had good germ rates for my old Gold of Bacau, Florelle Fleliderfarben and Lilascheke bean seeds @Bluejay77 so if all goes well I'll be able to send some of those to you in the fall too. It does amaze me that those beans sprouted so well considering they are from 2016 and were kept in an unsealed container for quite some time. I have found both beans and tomatoes to have excellent germination in general. If I have germ problems it's usually due to inclement weather, not the seeds themselves.

I am going to be trying out Azomite with my beans this year. It's pretty foolproof, completely natural and cannot harm plants. Being in a major mining town it may not be necessary, since the ground probably has quite a high mineral content as it is, but I've had such wonderful results with both the peppers, tomatoes and eggplants that I'm going to add it to the beans as well. It cost 10 bucks for 1 kilo bag so the price was not bad. I've read that beans have sensitivities to the lack of certain minerals so this might help cover any bases I might be missing. 🪨☘️

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Few more of the (mostly) European beans left on my list @BeanieQueen , I'm re-planting what I have left because I've struck out pretty bad with the weather and sadly these beans have suffered the most. Really keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes that my last few seeds will sprout... :fl

• Mongeta del Ganxet
  • Wild Gonny
  • Kroatische Stange
  • Monaco Musso Niriu
  • Frijol de Ceracahui
  • Mooreskonigin
  • Quedlinburger Speck
  • Dusslinger Backerschurze
  • Floreta (only one seed left! 😱 )
  • Sietske
  • Wachtelbohnen aus Unterfrauen
  • Schaffermadle
  • Perona D'en Pep
  • Buenos Aires Verde
  • Lippoldsberger Weisse Perle
  • Zwolse Paarse
  • Meuch
  • Halbhohne Reiser
  • Kartoffelbohne
  • Mombacher Speck
May not have spelled all that correctly!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Asomite contains trace minerals and elements including Boron, Calcium, Chlorine, Cobalt, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Molybdenum, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Silicon, Sodium, Sulfur, and Zinc.

I too will be starting the planting of beans this weekend. I got a sample of Kartoffelbohne, Riga D' Ora, Africannse Bonen Kijiva, Peau Du Vache Normande from a grower in Switzerland recently. These will have to wait till next year. The Peau Duy Vache Normande I sent out to a grower a couple of years ago and no new seed was ever returned. Looks like a Guernsey cow. I have 4 seeds of this one.

I didn't like the long period of intense heat along with excessive dryness last year. That didn't do the beans well at all. The soil around here looks like it has more moisture than it has in several springs we been getting more frequent rains lately. Although the U.S. Drought monitor still has us classified as abnormally dry.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had good germ rates for my old Gold of Bacau, Florelle Fleliderfarben and Lilascheke bean seeds @Bluejay77 so if all goes well I'll be able to send some of those to you in the fall too.
Oh thank you @heirloomgal. I will welcome those seeds and very glad to receive them as well.

Last edited: