Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, came home from work and dh had a small surprise for me, a peachy colored mini rose. i'm hoping i can keep it alive long enough in the house to be able to plant it outside. i had one many years ago that i was able to put it in my parents' backyard & kept it alive for about 4-5 years. dad used to hit it with the weed whacker a couple times a season but it kept coming back & blooming like nothing happened.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was also going to say that Linda Chalker-Scott has some interesting papers out there. I've read several of her articles and she debunks a lot of traditional garden lore.
The adding of bone meal to roses at planting wasn't one I've heard before, but adding it to the planting holes of bulbs is a familiar one.
I wonder if that is also unnecessary if you have "normal" soil.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Angel Face. I bought a special rose deal from Gurney's in 2009 or 2010. I planted it close to the porch on a fence. I need better support for it. This winter the snow broke a lot of the branches. It blooms on old canes, so I am not going to get a lot of roses on it this year.
blue rose.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does not look very blue in these pictures, but it does smell good. Now, you are getting me to want to plant roses. I have wanted to get a climbing yellow. My neighbor has the most beautiful climbing rose, one white and one yellow. He does nothing with them and every year just covered in roses and can smell them way over in my yard.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My roses are starting to bloom and some are quite lovely, though I wish they were bushier and thriving better. I'm going to supplement them and feed them this season but not sure if that will help for this season, maybe for next.

The Rose of Peace is incredibly beautiful! Perfection in every petal. The angel face is not doing as well and the blooms are not as lush as the picture shows, but maybe with time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My rambling rose in recovery from fence building is larger than ever and covered with buds!

It's also covered with mildew!

This must be a low-aphid spring ... I can just spray it with a fungicide. But, I better git to it!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like the powdery mildew is early this year. And I hope you're right about the low aphid spring, my Honeycrisp apple is usually so loaded with aphids it looks like a bad horror flick, but this year I've found just a few on it.
And! It's actually going to give me a few apples for the first time!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Placed bone meal around the roses tonight and will give them some aged horse manure if I manage to snag some this week.

Latest posts