thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a tip for keeping the truck bed a bit cleaner when you haul stuff. It works for me when I do fall and spring cleanups.
I put a tarp large enough to go up the sides and hang over the tail gate in the bed before filling. Then when I dump it, I pull the tail end piece of the tarp out until I get the debris about halfway down the bed, then grab the cab side of the tarp and peel it back out of the truck.
If it's really wet and heavy you need two strong pullers, or manually unload a lot of it by hand, but most of the time I can manage it by myself this way when I'm working alone.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've done it like that a time or two, but it's a pain to keep that tarp in place while loading and I'm one of those folks who feel like a truck bed washes out just fine, especially when it has one of those built in liners. That's what the liner is for.

Mom doesn't like to even get a scratch on her bedliner, so she'll get in there and detail those tiny scratches to the plastic. I don't blame her...when you are paying that much each month for a truck, you want to keep it looking new for as long as possible.

Now we have the utility trailer I expect her truck will get a little rest....maybe...a little...we'll see.... :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvey's contribution goes straight in flower beds. There are listing for free manure all the time . But like mentioned you have to load and pick up, which I can not do.
Sure you can. In that bumble bee truck of yours. And with the trailer you bought to haul behind it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've done it like that a time or two, but it's a pain to keep that tarp in place while loading and I'm one of those folks who feel like a truck bed washes out just fine, especially when it has one of those built in liners. That's what the liner is for.

Mom doesn't like to even get a scratch on her bedliner, so she'll get in there and detail those tiny scratches to the plastic. I don't blame her...when you are paying that much each month for a truck, you want to keep it looking new for as long as possible.

Now we have the utility trailer I expect her truck will get a little rest....maybe...a little...we'll see.... :D

I don't do it to keep the truck clean, although that's a great side benefit. It's about speed primarily. When you make several trips a day to the dump with a truck full
of debris being able to unload in a minute or two helps us get a lot of work done.

The way we load the truck is fast too. I rake debris or load prunings on a 6x8 tarp and drag it over to the truck then pick it up by the corners and heave it in. No problems with the truck tarp staying put.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be the way to do it! We don't normally have any loads in the truck so light we could load them or unload them with the tarp, though we've tried to do that a time or three...ended up unloading the truck almost all the way before we could move or roll that tarp off. Usually doing full loads of damp or downright wet manure, wood chips, mulched straw that looks like manure, etc.

Tried that with the trailer too but same result...we have to use the tarp on the trailer because it has a mesh bottom and rack sides, so if we want to haul anything with a small particle, we use the tarp.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, when the stuff is wet and heavy the tarp is not real useful for quick unloading.
Then it's much easier to just muck out without a tarp.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted those three new roses today...got stuck. Now I remember why I've never really messed with roses...they are not a real friendly type flower. :D

Planted another Angel Face, a tea rose called Chicago Peace and a salmon colored climber..I can't remember the name of that one.

Here's a pic of the Chicago Peace....supposed to be really fragrant, so I planted it by the porch, along with the floribunda Angel Face roses.

1d1facfd2eaecee29d8d9808a86ec023.jpg

I bought bananas today for the making of fruit salad...will be sure to place the peels with the roses.

Interesting article I found about adding bone meal while planting the roses...another reason a person should try to keep the natural balance of the soil in as natural a way as possible. Not many animals dying under rose bushes and their bones leaching into the soil there, so not really necessary to add bone meal to the soil.

http://www.finegardening.com/roses-and-cup-bone-meal-planting-hole

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhh...that Chicago Peace is a real looker! And fragrant too. You'll enjoy that one.

I pruned my one Rosa Glauca today. I forgot about that one when I was remembering my roses and thought all I had were the rugosas. It's out by the chicken pen and only blooms once, but when it does it's covered with single medium pink blooms. It has red stems too which I find appealing.

I was not ever going to plant anything but rugosas because they can get along fine with no attention, but got sucked in by this RG. :rolleyes:
Then last fall I picked up a Cecile Brunner climber. :oops:
I think I won't say "I will never" about another plant, because it seems to come back and bite me.

Latest posts