AMKuska's 2022 Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made a small mistake in the grow tent yesterday. I put some fertilizer on the peppers and watered it. It smelled terrible!! Gasping and choking, I made my escape. Later, my poor innocent husband went into the garage and got hit full in the face by the horrible, awful, no good smell.

I am hereby banned from using that particular brand of fertilizer in the grow tent ever again. The peppers look great though. They've already popped out some tiny new leaves.
'Muskie' is a liquid fish fertilizer that has no fishy smell, it actually has some kind of citronella odour, kinda nice. I use it indoors no problem. It only smells bad if you mix it with water an then let it sit for a few days.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Muskie' is a liquid fish fertilizer that has no fishy smell, it actually has some kind of citronella odour, kinda nice. I use it indoors no problem. It only smells bad if you mix it with water an then let it sit for a few days.
I'll order some, thank you!! My peppers are finally starting to take off and I'd hate to stop fertilizing because of a bad incident or two lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't do much with indoor fertilizers but i do have to put a plug here in this thread for worms, worm composting and worm castings. when i'm out putting that in the gardens it just smells like wet worms and that is not too bad of a smell. the peppers do well with it. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell your husband that in 2023 you will have the most wonderful, fertile, homemade potting soil that it won't need the addition of any fertilizer.

Then, compost a good combination of appropriate material. Mix that with your best garden soil and then ...

... just before he shows up at home some afternoon, pop your homemade, wonderfully fertile potting soil, that might have a few weed seeds in it, pop that in the oven for an hour at about 200°. Oh, and you and the kids might want to spend that hour at the neighborhood playground. Sure, the oven might have an automatic shut-off so there is no reason not to take advantage of that.

digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
nothing smells more like love than fresh oven-baked potting soil...??? 200F you say or 200C? i don't remember what it was when i did this once as a kid but i was told with very pointed emphasis that i would not do that ever again. Mom's a genius because so far she's right, i have not done it again. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like your garden along nicely. Kids in a garden are always a wonderful boost, they give you company and learn things that will stay with them all their lives.

Yes there will be and there are food shortages, you are wise to stock up and raise your own food. Maybe that rat did you a favor by showing you the weaker spots in your storage. I hope you have an outstanding garden this year!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell your husband that in 2023 you will have the most wonderful, fertile, homemade potting soil that it won't need the addition of any fertilizer.

Then, compost a good combination of appropriate material. Mix that with your best garden soil and then ...

... just before he shows up at home some afternoon, pop your homemade, wonderfully fertile potting soil, that might have a few weed seeds in it, pop that in the oven for an hour at about 200°. Oh, and you and the kids might want to spend that hour at the neighborhood playground. Sure, the oven might have an automatic shut-off so there is no reason not to take advantage of that.

digitS'

Haha! oh my goodness I don't think I'd like to come home to that smell either. :eek:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like your garden along nicely. Kids in a garden are always a wonderful boost, they give you company and learn things that will stay with them all their lives.

Yes there will be and there are food shortages, you are wise to stock up and raise your own food. Maybe that rat did you a favor by showing you the weaker spots in your storage. I hope you have an outstanding garden this year!
The garage and house are completely sealed. My husband or I left the back door open and it got in--then couldn't get out again. The problem with a great seal is that once they're in there's only one way out.

I'm hopeful that this garden will go well. Last year we had a lot of hail storms after first frost so I delayed putting my tomatoes out, and that saved them from five hail storms!! After looking very lethargic, they're perking up from being fertilized. I'm hopeful things will go at least okay this year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peppers are acting like they never stayed stagnating at their first two leaves now. I think fertilizing the heck out of it was what it needed. The squash type plants are doing good. Tomatoes still look yellowed and unhappy with life.
Did you fertilize the tomatoes too?