Baymule's 2016 Garden

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Bay! Great job!

Why am I just finding this thread??? Oh, I know . . . I've been so busy butchering Bacon & getting MY garden going, I haven't had time to relax & peruse TEG. :lol: :th

I LOVE the way y'all are using your "garden tub" to start seedlings. :gig

Now that the pigs are gone you are getting a good start on your 2016 garden. I remember how frustrating last year was, with all the rain we got. WE got 72" of rain here. I think y'all got about 15" more than we did. :ep Normal rainfall for East Texas is 42-45 inches. We are REALLY hoping we don't get that much rain this year!

Then, as if an have rainy Spring wasn't enough, we had a hot dry Summer with many 100°+ days.

Here's hoping we have a more "normal" year, here in Texas, and we both can have productive gardens. :fl

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little "normal" sure would be good! @Devonviolet go over to the Feeder Pig thread and update here like you did on BYH! You can open up both pages and do a copy and paste-easy!

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A little "normal" sure would be good! @Devonviolet go over to the Feeder Pig thread and update here like you did on BYH! You can open up both pages and do a copy and paste-easy!
I've been wanting to do that. But it takes so long, for me, to load photos, I haven't had time to do that.

Thunder storms are getting close & I'm sitting with ice on my arthritic ankle, so I finally have time to wait for photos to load.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got some rain and that settled the garden where I disced it up to smooth out the moon craters the pigs dug. I had to let it set for several days, then I disced it again yesterday evening. Ready to start planting.

At the feed store yesterday was a tub of sprouting, shriveled potatoes and a sign that said How Green Is Your Thumb? FREE! So naturally I got some. I got brown skinned white potatoes and purple skinned purple potatoes. I planted two rows 30' long.

This morning I planted a triple row, 60' long of black oil sunflower seeds, non GMO. I ran a string to start making a row, but got sidetracked.

We dumped two loads of dirt in the driveway and spread it. The county put in our culvert and covered it with red clay and crushed rock. Just in front of that was a hole that made a Jim-Dandy pond after a rain, and we skidded in and out of the driveway. Our neighbor borrowed the tractor to start digging a storm shelter and he had a pile of red clay. He piled it in the dump trailer and we dumped it this morning. My husband had a blast spreading it out, after being sidelined by knee surgery. There was more dirt, so we loaded up the trailer and dumped it too. We are now ready for crushed rock.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brown and Purple free spuds?! Red clay and Green thumbs?! Neighbors who borrow and share?!

Run a string? You don't need no stinking string!

Use your hoe handle and line of sight, "landmarks" and a modest distance of about 20', one at a time along the 60'. Then, stand at the other end of your drill and sight down the whole thing, correct as needed.

If I can do it for 50', you're younger ~ you can do it for 60'.

:) Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF for bird to feed on, fine. Odds are high that you are buying hybrid seed thus your seed will be a mix of all kind of different types. Some short, some tall,some may be multi-headed, etc.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I bought a packet of non GMO black oil sunflower seeds from www.bountifulgardens.org And yes, the birdseed variety will grow, no telling what you will get. I grew the packet of seeds, cut the heads (after birds had eaten a lot of the seeds) and cleaned the seeds. I have half a quart Ziploc bag if sunflower seeds to plant now.

Steve, we are blessed by good neighbors. We have what we call community equipment and loan to one another. We cut a half dead tree next to the fence and gave it to a neighbor for his deer camp wood. He came yesterday, but had no chainsaw, he used ours. He's using another neighbor's log splitter. We are getting the tree out of the way and cleaned up. Win-Win.

Latest posts