Baymule's 2016 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One good thing I read about them , is they gang up and chase hawks away. If you free range your chickens, one less predator to worry about.
I haven't minded them being around, but eating my corn is BAD!!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crows pulled up every Painted Mountain corn sprout, ate the kernel and dropped the sprout. :he Every single one. :somad I replanted 4-19 and tomorrow will set hoops and netting over the rows. Yesterday I planted a packet of Jimmy T okra and yellow crook neck squash. I gotta get busy!

Wow - they are going to be big trouble! Sorry!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a pet crow that lived with us for about a year. He was free, but hung out at our house a lot.
Since he "helped" the kids and I weed, I was worried about him eating my corn seedlings. I had a bolt of cheese cloth in my garden shed, so I unrolled it over the rows and anchored it down with rocks. It let air and water through and was light enough to let the corn lift it as it grew. I took it off when I thought the corn was big enough to not be attractive to crows anymore.

After having Luther as a wild buddy, I'm biased towards them, but I know I would be hopping mad if they destroyed my garden.

Sorry about your PM loss Bay. But on the bright side you have a nice long season to grow more.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to criss cross fishing line throughout the corn patch. The birds hit the string and get scared . It worked but for some reason. We don,t need to do it any more.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to criss cross fishing line throughout the corn patch. The birds hit the string and get scared . It worked but for some reason. We don,t need to do it any more.

Works on deer too, at least for awhile. They are afraid of being trapped.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard of cutting up lengths of water hose and laying it in the garden, that the birds will think there are snakes and stay away.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those Scarecrow sprinklers really work. Good idea!
I inherited one from a client who was moving out of their deer infested property.
I have actually forgotten about it, but I'm getting some ideas for it now....
I bet it will great on Larka to keep her out of the flower beds, and on a hot day I can set it up to surprise the neighbor kids -Bwahahaha!