Baymule's 2016 Garden

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always end up with a few volunteer sunflowers in my yard. The mice or chipmunks take them from the feeder and bury them. They are pretty either way. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted 7 double rows of Painted Mountain corn, 30 feet long. I planted Painted Mountain in 2014, on April 11, it started tasseling 39 days later on May 19. I picked and shelled it on July 12, 2014. So in 92 days, it went from planting to picking as dry corn for meal. I never made the meal, saving the corn for seed. In 3 months, I should be enjoying fresh cornbread from my own corn!

I might try planting peas in the rows where I walk when the corn has been planted for 30 or 40 days. If they aren't too shaded by the corn (it only gets 3-4 feet tall) it would give the peas time to grow until I pull the corn. Then the peas will have all summer to bear. Just thinking out loud....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted 7 double rows of Painted Mountain corn, 30 feet long. I planted Painted Mountain in 2014, on April 11, it started tasseling 39 days later on May 19. I picked and shelled it on July 12, 2014. So in 92 days, it went from planting to picking as dry corn for meal. I never made the meal, saving the corn for seed. In 3 months, I should be enjoying fresh cornbread from my own corn!

I might try planting peas in the rows where I walk when the corn has been planted for 30 or 40 days. If they aren't too shaded by the corn (it only gets 3-4 feet tall) it would give the peas time to grow until I pull the corn. Then the peas will have all summer to bear. Just thinking out loud....

Thanks for noting the DTM's! Painted Mountain is on my grow list this year, so this will help me plan when to plant it so it won't cross with my bi-color sweet corn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crows pulled up every Painted Mountain corn sprout, ate the kernel and dropped the sprout. :he Every single one. :somad I replanted 4-19 and tomorrow will set hoops and netting over the rows. Yesterday I planted a packet of Jimmy T okra and yellow crook neck squash. I gotta get busy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can make a very simple scarecrow with an old shirt and a clothes hanger. The idea is to allow the shirt to swing around in the slightest breeze.

You need a tall "tree" like for a hanging basket. To make that, just think "hangman" - the word guessing game. Several of these can be set up in a few minutes.

They aren't as appealing to the neighbors as a traditional stuffed scarecrow but the hanger idea is quick and can be a quick-change artist. The old bathrobe can go where the workshirt was. The shirt can change places with the nightgown, etc.

I'm convinced that it's the changes that scare animals and keep them from focusing in on a food source ... If the local owls and the neighbor's dachshund aren't up to the task, I might try the scarecrow for Benjamin Bunny! The dachshund killed his cousin, yesterday.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched the goings on, yesterday ... as I passed endlessly, tilling the ground of the garden extension ...

The miniature dachshund was obsessed with a stack of boards, just like she was obsessed with a different stack, the day before. After her owner left, she "came and got me" to help her. It was so obvious :). I was allowed a few moments of petting, then it was right back to the boards!

I performed poorly as a hunting companion. I followed her, had a few encouraging words, but I was not moving any of the neighbor's boards.

By the time he showed up, she had spent a couple of hours with those boards. He moved one, she grabbed the rabbit, killed it, one bite he said. She was napping in the shade when I left.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crows are so darn smart, they figure out pretty quick what does and doesn't hurt them. Right now, my husband runs out clapping his hands and they fly off. But they are already starting to fly a little shorter distance. Good. When they are no longer afraid of him and he can run out the door and they don't budge, we'll shoot them.

Latest posts