Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They aren't up yet? I killed one yesterday up here. Dared to grow in my asparagus patch.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alright ya'll I have strong convictions about poisons and refuse to use them. Many of you know that I am cursed with chemical sensitivities to the point of not being able to use any cleaning products, only one or two laundry products, no perfumes, no scented products of any kind, smells or fumes from many, many other products that are in everyday normal use. I try to live my life as chemical free as possible. It is difficult to say the least.

I use no commercial fertilizer salts or poisons on my land. Period. I know some of you have just as strong convictions opposite of mine. I will engage in friendly discussion about the use of such items, but I refuse to engage in a pissing match about it on this forum. Period.

@pale towodi I am with you on this. My brother died a horrible death from Agent Orange exposure. I want no part of it, I don't care how freaking "safe" 2-4-D is. @seedcorn I know your convictions and you know mine. No amount of argument is going to change either of our minds. I respect your vast knowledge and contributions to this forum.

So both of you need to back off and apologize to each other. We are friends on this forum. We come from different states, different countries, we come from all over this earth, we all have differences that might keep us from being the perfect human specimen that we conjure up in our minds, but we still come together on this forum. We learn from each other, we ask questions and receive answers. We help others and others help us. Love one another. Respect each other. Shake hands and keep our differences of opinion civil.

Ya'll don't want me to open up a six pack of Texas whup-ass on ya'll.........:thumbsup

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
A cup of water or anything for that matter, if you add a little poison, is still contaminated and will eventually with continued use and exposure kill or make sick.
They are chemicals designed to kill, period. If it will kill plants and trees then it will kill a human being and other life. Period.

Tell ya what..I will stop pushing to quit using these poisons when others stop pushing that its okay to use them because they are "safe" because it does not get in water "UNLESS" etc. or it is residual only at xx parts per xx. there's drift and runoff and groundwater that this infects.

34b4ded1a0257e35dd9cabc643136b94.jpg
Mother Nature produced poisonous snakes, toads, fish, plants, etc. that kill other animals and plants daily to survive. As well as the oceans . Try to drink Mother Nature's ocean saline water and see how long you will live. Yet, we take ocean water , evaporate the water and what is left is salt which you and I use every day. mankind learned how to use what nature provided then reproduce it to using the same chemical formula to make it cheaper for you and me to use for our benefit. Why don't you study chemistry and you will eventually find that Mother Nature has already been there , done that long before man ever thaught of making man-made products by copying her.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule. Again, NO PROBLEM if anyone doesn't want to use commercial fertilizers or store bought chemicals. I'm done with this discussion. & NO I do not apologize for the truth.

Sorry about your brother dying from agent orange. Agent Orange was never a good idea (neither was VN) to spray on humans. But the salt, water or 2-4D was not the problem.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wikipedia: "the two commonplace species worldwide, T. officinale and T. erythrospermum, were imports from Europe that now propagate as wildflowers."

I didn't search too hard but the USDA Plant database show them in all US states and CA provinces. They are even in Greenland! The USDA also notes that these Taraxacum populations contain both invasive and native species.

Then there are the chicories -- and that is quite a diverse group of cultivar dandelion cousins! The "Italian dandelion" will have the chicory blue flowers. Otherwise, it sure looks like a yellow-flowered dandelion!

I have grown several of these chicory vegetables and I enjoyed having Crepis incana for awhile. They are pink! (I don't know if you can eat them ...

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sitting here thinking on all the things I enjoy that God did not make. My heart medicines, my pace maker, my coffee pot, a glass of wine, and wind chimes in the garden.

Sitting here thinking on all the things I enjoy that God did make. Trees, flowers, friends here on TEG. Heck, He even made seedcorn and pale t and me.

Sitting here thinking how figures can lie and liars can figure, how what is known as fact can change with more information, how emotions and feelings have started more wars; killed more people than anything other than nature itself.

Sitting here thinking how loving and praying and tactful discussions change more minds than just about anything I know.

Sitting here thinking how much I love gardening, how much I learn from others here, how much I still choose what works for me over what sometimes is suggested.

Sitting here thinking how hopeful I am that bay has lots of great things to report on her 2017 garden thread.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bay I love the dandelions too. Foraging may save people someday. I encourage my grandchildren to blow the seeds all over my yard, lol. I'm not too crazy about dandelion jelly or any really but the family loves it. I like to watch YouTube videos on edible forage plants. This is how I learned that I had a elderberry bush. Use to be everyone knew what they looked like but now I haven't met anyone that knows what to look for.

I don't spray poisons on my food and except for picking off a few bugs or worms if the plants are healthy they usually seem to resist pest attacks for the most part. I have made up pepper-garlic sprays now and then but mostly just let things be.

Well sorry Bay we seem to have got off subject. I love your pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts