Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@baymule I am trying the Cherokee Purple for the first time this year, I have read and heard so many compliments on the taste of this variety. I have around 50 plants in the greenhouse, but I am going to share some of them with friends and neighbors.
I dehydrate a lot of my tomatoes and it does concentrate the flavor for sure. I use them for soups, chili, stew, salads (I grow kale, spinach, chard, and beet tops in winter), and even on sandwiches through the off season.

I got my seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, had great germination from them.

Have you ever grown a Mule Team tomato? or Glacier?...or Delicious?...or Homestead 24?
I am trying these this year also.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have tried Mule Team and Glacier, but none of my tomatoes were up to par that year. It was a new bed roughed out of a brushy area and I wasn't expecting too much from it. So that's exactly what I got, not much.
I have grown Cherokee Purple and like it a lot. It can sometimes be a non ripener in our tomato challenged climate though.

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got the Glacier because they claim it produces in 55 days instead of 70-90 days..so I was thinking an earlier fresh tomato. I'll just have to see. If it does not taste good, it will have to go.

I got some Mortgage Lifters too..ever tried those?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think it is supposed to be related to Subarctic Plenty & i know that produced early for me. i didn't find anything overly great about Subarctic Plenty's taste but it was early & seemed disease free. certainly a hearty plant & survived some cold spells that season but the fall weather took them out just like the rest of the plants. i had collected most of the tomatoes from the plant before the frost hit.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not tried Mule Team, Glacier, Delicious or Homestead 24. I grew a Homestead tomato in 2014 that was good, but it didn't blow my socks off. I grew Mortgage Lifter last year, but it didn't do much, not the tomato's fault, it was only the 2nd year of a garden carved out of new ground. So I'm planting it again this year. @Carol Dee grows them and posted tomato pictures so yummy looking, it had me licking the computer screen. Carol, feel free to post some of your Mortgage Lifter pics here for @pale towodi !!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
o.k. @baymule it took some looking as I could not find the photo in my computer :(
Here is one of the Mortgage Lifters we grew @pale towodi
049.JPG
065.JPG