Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, you may have a hard time finding Mortgage Lifter at a regular nursery. If you have a "mom and pop" kind of greenhouse/nursery, you will have better luck.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really want to try some Cherokee Purples but it probably won't be this year. I like Arkansas Travelers because they set tomatoes when it gets hot which most tomatoes aren't so good at that. I have grown Delicious and they make a big meaty tomato. Very pretty. i like Rutgers too because they are nice and acidic which is a flavor I like in a tomato.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday before the rains hit, I picked turnip greens and mustard greens! I froze 4 quart bags of turnip greens and we are having the mustard greens tonight.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule I am trying the Cherokee Purple for the first time this year, I have read and heard so many compliments on the taste of this variety. I have around 50 plants in the greenhouse, but I am going to share some of them with friends and neighbors.
I dehydrate a lot of my tomatoes and it does concentrate the flavor for sure. I use them for soups, chili, stew, salads (I grow kale, spinach, chard, and beet tops in winter), and even on sandwiches through the off season.

I got my seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, had great germination from them.

Have you ever grown a Mule Team tomato? or Glacier?...or Delicious?...or Homestead 24?
I am trying these this year also.

I've been growing Delicious for several years and it is one of my all-time favorites. It's a huge, red beefsteak. I've had some reach just over 2lbs. and that was without any special treatment or pinching blooms. The flavor has a perfectly balanced acidity and it makes one fine tomato sandwich.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule, that top picture of your greens is so evocative to me.
It seems the quintessence of gardening, right there in a bowl. The way the light falls on it, and the richness of that purple, with the leafs veins so contrasted. Very nice.:)

(The second bowl is pretty too.)

Latest posts