Reaction score
Bay', you make me wonder.

With that huge number of tomato plants,

will you sell the fruit?

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I finished planting all my plants!! :weee I planted 25 Rosso Sicilian paste tomatoes, 15 German Johnson, and 17 Tommy Toe tomatoes. Many of them had 2 plants per peat pellet, but I counted them as one. I have a total of 168 tomato plants in the garden! I planted 19 Corno Del Toro sweet peppers and 18 Oda Purple bell peppers. I also planted my bean seeds from @Bluejay77.

My husband brought me a bottle of water, then got busy watering what I had planted. He wound up watering practically the whole garden and that was a big help.

There is a section that I did not cover with the 5 year old wood chip mulch because I ran out. I am going to enlist Marigold for help and use the front end bucket to dig a trench. I'll fill it with new wood chips, cover it with dirt and then cover the dirt with more mulch. I'll do the whole section like this, then plant purple hull peas. It will be sort of a flat hugle bed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I have fence row onions, spearmint and rosemary growing on that bed. The chickens attacked it and scratched away a lot of the mulch on it. LOL But I just happen to have mountains of mulch at the moment and plan on recovering it.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I could never grow as many tomatoes as we eat. Bay what is the Cherokee Purples like? I saw some plants at Wally World but the plants there is no less than $2.50-$4.50 apiece. I did buy some Arkansas Travelers at the local Trade Days Saturday. Those plants were $2.00/a 4 pack, so I got 2. Eight plants are better than none. I planted some beefsteak seed and cherry tomatoes but they are not doing well. On the up side the sweet peppers are looking great.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lcertuche I had to go look for it, but I found pictures of Cherokee Purple that I grew in 2014 and did a review of it. Cherokee Purple is on my "must grow" list. Last year I dehydrated a lot of them and the flavor is concentrated-so delicious. Since I refuse to buy store bought tomatoes :sick :tongue I dehydrate them for our salads in the winter. They taste great fresh and make yummy tomato sauce. If you cannot find seed, I will send you some when I get ripe tomatoes.

Latest posts