Catalogs, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
39037A49-42C5-4704-9AD1-546F516ABF8E.jpeg
2020 catalog
I remember asking DW if she knew what happened to their catalog last year. She said, they only send it when you order. Oh.

Since I usually order, it's been a regular.

Yes, I noticed last year that they were in some sort of cooperative with AgroHaitai. I've relied on Kitazawa and only ordered once from AH.

Stokes used to have a fair selection of Asian veggie seed along with many, many offerings. They notified me of big changes for that Canadian outfit - sounds like they have gone 100% wholesale. No flower seed or small packets to US customers?? Well, they were once my primary source but changes about 5 years ago resulted in me drifting away.

I once complained to Stokes about shipping prices for plants and the response was that they had to be trucked across the border to a U.S. post office. (BTW, that AH seed order about 10 years ago wasn't a problem for me.)

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bad news is that another source of Asian & Oriental seeds - Evergreen Y.H. - has apparently gone under. :( Not really surprising, they had closed several times, and there were quite a few bad reviews. The last seed I had ordered from them had very poor germination... but they had a huge selection, much of which was not offered elsewhere.
Tell me about it. I think Evergreen Y.H. were the people who offered the infamous packages marked "Herbs, Small Fennel: Chives" That I would find from time to time in Chinatown, and which contained seed that MIGHT have been Chinese dill (it always grew very poorly, so I never got enough of it to get big enough to work out exactly WHAT member of the Apiacae it was, and it seemed to vary in fragrance from plant to plant.) Or the Hyacinth bean packets full of mostly common beans (I can vaguely understand mixing a purple podded Hyacinth bean and a purple podded common bean up, but there were cases of the right seed and the wrong seed IN THE SAME PACKET.)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite catalog arrived yesterday. No photos, just descriptions of 16,712 different varieties of vegetables, grains, fruits, and flowers being offered. (The associated Exchange website - from which the book is derived - does allow attached photos.)
20220123_172150.jpg

The last step in my garden planning (aside from mapping out numbers & locations) is to compare my potential grow list against the SSE Yearbook. I check for things on my 'want' list, and to see which of my varieties are being offered least. The first couple seed requests have already arrived, and lots of germination testing to do... looks like it's time to get busy. :celebrate

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I think Evergreen Y.H. were the people who offered the infamous packages marked "Herbs, Small Fennel: Chives" That I would find from time to time in Chinatown, and which contained seed that MIGHT have been Chinese dill (it always grew very poorly, so I never got enough of it to get big enough to work out exactly WHAT member of the Apiacae it was, and it seemed to vary in fragrance from plant to plant.) Or the Hyacinth bean packets full of mostly common beans (I can vaguely understand mixing a purple podded Hyacinth bean and a purple podded common bean up, but there were cases of the right seed and the wrong seed IN THE SAME PACKET.)
Re: the mention of Asian seed companies. There appears to be a new U.S. Asian/Oriental seed supplier, "Asian Garden 2 Table". Someone posted a link to it on another forum. They profess to be licensed importers, have a very well-developed website, and have a wide selection (many of which I have not seen elsewhere). Brand new, so couldn't find any reviews to vouch for their reputability... but they use a Florida mailing address. I am thinking about sending a test order for some of their beans, to be followed by a larger order of their yardlong beans if that goes smoothly. @Pulsegleaner , as I recall you were interested in white yardlongs, you might find this interesting.
Asian Garden 2 Table

Latest posts