Coffee, Old School

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of an old boss of mine. We worked on a farm and the office was located near his house. Each day we took turns to go to the farm house, hand grind some coffee beans, put it in a cloth (I think it was linen) bag, in a kettle with water and onto the stove top it went to boil and brew. The resulting coffee was then poured into a flask and taken to the office for him. In S.A. coffee used to be called (and still sometimes is) "boere troos" which translates to "farmer's comfort" Wonderful description!

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tend to order off the starbucks site here cut's the cost by more than half
and get 50 sleeves not the 8 from store shelve :caf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I stopped using as percolator sometime during the 20th century. Am I at odds with the consensus here? I felt that the electric drip brewer was a step up. I certainly thought it was a step up from my silly Corning drip pot for convenience ... and safety.

I think it was about the same time I bought a jar of instant coffee. (Last time, until I bought some a year ago. ;)) See, I was casting about trying to find a better way and the electric drip brewer made me happy :).

I bought some more beans recently. I can't go the decaf beans any longer. Nope. I feel that it's important to cut the caffeinated but I've yet to find a decaf that I care to drink! That roasted fig product that I've gone on too much about - if you make one cup of it, mix it in one cup made with freshly ground coffee beans, give one cup to your buddy - it would never occur to him that it isn't 100% coffee. I've tried it! Decaf beans just degrades what I've got.

Anyway, I don't know what happened to my last electric percolator. The last 2 drip machines are still around :). Oh, and boiled coffee - you are supposed to be able to use the white of an egg to kind of trap the grounds in the bottom of the pot. It didn't work too good for me.

:idunno Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I think the general consensus here has been that drip brewers are the most popular.

I notice a definite difference in flavor with the electric perc vs a drip brewer. Plus I really appreciated the coffee being HOT. Maybe paper filters effect the taste in a drip...I don't use a filter in either the electric nor the stovetop percolator. If you wet the basket before putting the coffee in there are no grounds in the cup.

At any rate I'm thoroughly enjoying the process. Part of it for me is the nostalgia. I can bring back mental snapshots of dad stationed at the old Coleman white gas stove perking coffee and flipping pancakes when we camped, or mom in her kitchen filling the perc pot with water and setting it on the stove, then the sound of the coffee hitting that glass dome. The connection feels good at this point for me.

I'm feeling like I've got the stovetop perc nearly mastered, it takes me about 12 minutes from sitting it on the stove to pouring a cup, and that is totally doable for me in the winter. I may go back to the electric perc when work gets crazy, or get up earlier. We'll see.

The all stainless aspect is a definite big plus to me too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much of what we love has to do with memories of loved ones and happy times. Smell of coffee, fresh home made biscuits (mom) and G'ma making me chocolate gravy, makes me smile every time. To this day, when we visit kids, coffee (that only I drink), biscuits and chocolate gravy. Make sausage and sausage gravy for wife. DIL looks at my son as "U R NUTS" when he brings in plate with all 3.......

Latest posts