Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I raise Cornish Cross meat chickens each year. After processing, cutting and vacuum sealing the meat, I boil the bones for broth. Then I can it. I cook with that broth, I substitute it for water in rice, beans, soup, or just a cup of hot broth with fresh ginger and garlic for a sore throat.

@ducks4you i like the crockpot idea, but I usually have so many that it would take too long , so the bones go in a couple of big pots to simmer.
A couple of old black and white movies I have watched will have people talking about the pot of broth on the stove. They always seemed to have broth for a sick friend or neighbor.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everybody has their own way to make broth. :hugs
I chimed in bc broth takes time to make it flavorful.
As I am NOT making your food, nor paying your mortgage, take my comments with a grain of salt, which I have also Not paid for in your kitchen. :lol:
DD has used a crockpot too and the baby is starting to eat and she is thinking of making broth again. She has a couple of books with recipes that do it your way.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When ever we pick up a rotisserie chicken we remove as much of the meat as we can, and then toss the wings, bones, and skin in a bag that we can keep adding to in the freezer. I believe the carmelized skin adds a lot to the flavour. Once we have a good amount we simmer it gently for a couple of hours and then whatever we don't use gets divided up and frozen in glass jars. Makes a great base for Chicken Tortilla Soup.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a broth believer :).

Also, a believer in marinades. The simple marinade drifts only into complexity depending on what vinegars and whether soy, teriyaki or Magi sauce. Oil is added if whatever is being cooked needs it.

Lunch was tofu with sweet peppers stir-fried and served with rice. There are cilantro and mushrooms and the tofu has rice vinegar and Magi sauce. I could have done the mushrooms too but they are shiitake and don't need that quick marinade. Portabello mushrooms benefit and so does this tofu. I mean really!

Afternoon coffee is next ☕.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple of old black and white movies I have watched will have people talking about the pot of broth on the stove. They always seemed to have broth for a sick friend or neighbor.

i think it was just a way of making sure not to waste any bit of that possible nutrition and they were people who'd likely gone through or were in tougher times than we are now. much has changed.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks like the Balducci's near me carries the same brand of navels, so I'll probably have a steady supply for the winter (provided I'm willing to pay the vast amount Balducci's is likely to CHARGE for them.

H-mart had some more normal "sized" sumo's (the one's I got before were sort of small, and there are now bagged ones that are downright tiny.) so I picked up four of the fugliest (I wanted to make sure I could tell them from the navels in the same basket).

speaking of fugly, I suppose the ugli fruit will be showing up soon. At some point (since I am lucky enough to have an early furocoumarin reaction that is detectable by NOT dangerous), I should get one, eat a TINY bit of it, and see if it's grapefruit ancestry does or does not include producing them (they certainly never TASTED like grapefruit if you got a decent one, but who knows.)
managed to snap a pic of the remaining three (they're okay, but still a little more acidic than they should be)
1673556207393.jpeg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was up early, drank all the coffee, ate the last of the cinnamon bread, it’s still dark…. Now what? I know! I’ll get clothes out of the dryer and put them away!
What is wrong with you? It’s dark, you should still be asleep dreaming of today’s adventures....
IF you were a male, we’d leave them in drier till we wanted to wear them or needed to make room for another load. We are efficient. Why fold them just to unfold them to Wear?

:old:frow