common sense is out the window

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow, i have been lurking a past couple months but haven't signed in all that time.

Major, didn't know you were planning a move to become a Nawthernah! glad i don't have to worry about mineral rights here in NH. don't think you have to worry about that in most of New England area. (no, NY is not officially part of New England, but always seems to be on the map when i see them talking about weather.) probably because it would cost too much to dig through the bedrock & granite to get to what you want other than water.

@Nyboy most states that have the Bureau of Land Management's mitts on property will have mineral right laws. check ebay sometimes for 'lode claim', 'mining land', 'placer claim'. you will find a lot of land like this in western/southwestern states for mining, but there are a few in NY/PA area. places like Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas tend to have more oil fracking/drilling done on land that will also be used for raising cattle or farming. i found this a few years ago when i got interested in looking at land for sale in other states. didn't buy anything then but have occasionally been looking.

the key word is "thinking about it" just because i won $4 last night does not mean i am retiring anytime soon...
had to look up what Nawthernah meant....wikipedia showed this...
Channel-4-Neanderthal-2000.jpg

maybe we wont move that far from here after all....Yankee's that wears carhartts year round are a bit off their rocker..
we have about 7 years till the house is payed off so we have time to keep looking for that right piece of property..till then we can dream....

no worries everyone knows that eastern new york is really northern new jersey and not part of the new england region

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hey, we aren't in Canada at least! for me at least that is a couple hour drive north to Quebec.

if you come to my neck of the woods just get used to hearing this voice! this is Joel from a local country store i go by every morning to get to work. the further north you go into New England & closer to what we call Downeast Maine this is a common accent in our area. sort of a Bostonian/Kennedy but with a little twang to the sound. here we are mostly Nawthen Rednecks, we keep just about everything we own!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny because I think of NY as part of New England. I guess because I live maybe 10 miles from Connecticut. I have never heard of Mineral rights I guess because I only looked to buy in NY. Would never allow other people to be able to make decisions or use my Land. Some thing similier happened in Hamptons. When the super rich started building there they became worried about the farm land being built on. All of the farmers where offered what they thought a large some of money to have their land deeded only farm use. The farmers where dancing to the bank. Decades later they have land which would sell for multi millions if buildable. Hamptons is one of the most expensive land in country.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom You need to take another look at Pix. It is of Dad's 2 brothers and YOU........ Dad had us setting up camp and fishing for supper while you got to nap......

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom You need to take another look at Pix. It is of Dad's 2 brothers and YOU........ Dad had us setting up camp and fishing for supper while you got to nap......

Haha, oh yeah, dads "brothers" Mongo and Mung. I can't remember which is which, but you were named after Mongo, ( he's the handsome one). And if you can tell which one is the handsome one please let me know...

Sorry you never got to nap, but you know what it's like being the favorite, it's not as easy as I make it look.

I dressed like uncles Mongo and Mung that day to try to boost their self esteem, they made those outfits for all of us, but you and Major were too proud to wear them I guess. I dunno.

Hey, next time I go camping I think I better pack some tweezers, looks like my eyebrows are a little unruly there!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see they invited you for breakfast. That's southern hospitality!

and the bad thing is that dang yankee has never left... what a free loader.
he wont even fix the cabinet door behind me that he broke.....

Last edited:

Latest posts