common sense is out the window

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dang this remodel is taking forever, owner just keeps adding to the list..and then he wonders why it's taking so long.... starting to get in the short rows....i hope...

he hired a construction company to do some of the major remodel..they gave a estimate of $35.000.. guess what i got volunteered again..grrrrrr
so here's this week's work so far
ripped out some of the load bearing wall hung a door, installed openings for 3 windows
IMG_0976.JPG

got that done.. started on removing the cob job somebody did.. someone used 2x4's on a load bearing wall, while the rest of the wall is made with 2x6's so made some deadmen to support the rafters and ripped out that section.
IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

forgot to take more photos will post more on this remodel tomorrow evening

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished fixing that mess took a lot longer than expected. where the red arrows is the rafter for the outside wall for the upstairs..
it never was supported the whole time and shagged over 1/2"....really how did that pass inspection...
IMG_0972.JPG

had to put a block into the new bearing wall and remove the deadman, put a shim in and pound the deadman back in did this 3 times finally got it to the right height, cut my header beams..

heres the finished section....bullet proof door will go in next week
IMG_0989.JPG

all the glue down tile and carpet is gone......tile going in..not me yeah
where the fire exhauster is he wants a slide glass window installed and move that office door to the otherside of it...grrrrr
IMG_0988.JPG

on to the remodel... we have put up osb from the floor to the ceiling on the walls,installed a storage area for tires on the right<not to code>oh well
hung 2" airlines in a loop throughout the shop.

IMG_0986.JPG

installed osb to close up the gap between the 2nd floor and the ceiling. painted everything a gray and painted all the metal dark red...
now he wants to replace the door on the bottom left as well...grrrrrr
IMG_0985.JPG

and he wants to add a 4th window where the ladder is...grrr
IMG_0992.JPG

paneling will be delivered monday for the shop side of the wall..... just need to get the 2 doors installed first.

wonder what else he wants to add next week......come on powerball......

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
it never was supported the whole time and shagged over 1/2"....really how did that pass inspection...

Shagged? I think you meant sagged.....

If a 1/2" sag drives you that nuts, glad you didn't work on my feed and tack room. There's not a square corner, level place, straight anything anywhere on the whole thing. The barn and now the feed and tack room was built of Lowes reject lumber, used lumber, used tin, but we put all new metal on the outside and roof of the barn.

The funny part is the barn looks so darn good! The barn and feed/tack room is an optical illusion. LOL

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well thats a good typo...:gig

@baymule needed to have a 5 1/2" clearance on both ends to install the header beams, by jacking up the unsupported end was able to run the header in all the way ...
IMG_0991.JPG

as for making it bullet proof, theres an awful lot of weight bearing down from the second story rafters..

Latest posts