Cow manure

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe Chipotle doesn't provide soap in the employee restrooms? ;)

I hesitate to believe tv accounts. PBS is as biased as any IMHO.
It’s the food, not the employees.....

I encourage everyone to do their own research. Go to any food fields and look at the conditions. I’m done with this because I’ve contributed too much in hi jacking this thread.

Manure is safe if handled correctly-same with any fertilizer.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not doing your work for you, if you make the claim put up the facts/studies or admit you're just blowing hot air.
I will attest to what Seedcorn is saying ... :thumbsup I grew up and lived in Cal. Central Valley where much of our country's vegetables and fruit is grown. I own a 20 acre ranch there. Every year I hire a couple migrant workers to hoe weeds in the pastures and along fencelines . I tell them that if they have to go, just come to the house to use the bathroom. But , instead, they just urinate when and where they happen to be. :idunno There are field crops and orchards all around my ranch. During the times when the farmers need labor help, they provide porta potties for the migrant workers, but I see many of the workers relieve themselves wherever they happen to be. (Why walk a 100 yards to the porta potties ). When the Vet Nam immigrants came to Fresno, most live in apartments in town. Many of them lease an acre or more outside of town so that they can grow their vegetables for their family use and for sale at roadside stands or sell to local grocers. Many also grow strawberries for sale at roadside stands and grocery stores. This is a family venture and their entire families including their children work the crops. Where do you think that they go when the need arises ? In Cal., coyotes, Jack rabbits, ground squirrels, field mice, rats, black bird flocks numbering in the thousands , insects, etc. outnumber the human population several times over, so guess where they go when they dine on the crops ? :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
go look at the stats. i did. the biggest percentage of cases are tracked
to infected beef, other causes are dairy products, vegetables, contact with
animals, drinking from unsafe water sources and person-to-person contact
(which is a minority percentage).

most people who poop are not carrying STEC.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember the North Korean soldier who was shot like 5 times crossing boarder ? Recovering in South Korean Hospital he was inundated with parasites, they showed photos of giant rounds worms removed from him. They blamed high parasite load on North Korea's improper use of manure as a fertilizer

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We do not share parasites with cattle and chickens. We DO share parasites with pigs. I STILL cook my pork long enough to kill a tapeworm.
Here's the deal, a parasite needs a host to survive. The worm sheds eggs which leave the herbivore via the feces. Survival depends upon being eaten on the grass by another host herbivore. When it is dry, whether hot or cold, the eggs die. We horse owners try to remove their poo and pile it up, which heats the eggs and kills them. Droughts also kill them. Dewormers kill them best of all, but every horse still carries a small parasite load. Some are more resistant than others. Generally "hard keepers", horses that have a hard time keeping weight on, are less resistant to parasites, for the most part. I am NOT an expert on this, but the horse community has gone to have fecal samples tested for #'s of parasites. We don't deworm these horses as often as those with less resistance.
Point being, by the time you use cow manure the eggs are dead and you will not injest them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Btw, horses can ingest bot eggs from the bot fly which lands on the horse and deposits sticky, yellow eggs that look like pollen. The horse bites at a fly and unknowingly grabs eggs with his teeth and becomes the next host. It happens because a horse owner living near you doesn't deworm for them. We also now have rabies shots/boosters given to our horses AND we have to treat for tapeworms in the Fall, so I guess we DO share one parasite. HowEVER the winter and dewormers will kill tapeworms pretty effectively. My horses haven't left the property for 4 years and I doubt that they carry ANY tapeworms, which they would have to ingest from direct contact. Stop worrying!! Commercial cow manure is safe, else they would be sued and the suer's attorneys would collect their standard 1/3 of the monies awarded. Soon, NOBODY would sell cow manure. Savvy?
Those dastardly parasites!!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
WE treat for tapeworms 1x/year. read:
http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-health/tapeworm-threat-21250.aspx
We also do NOT overuse ivermecterin, which was the 1980's wonder drug for deworming. read;
https://thehorse.com/14481/parasites-and-pastures/
I have always rotated my dewormers.
http://cha-ahse.org/store/pages/177/ROTATION-OF--HORSE-WORMERS.html
The best way to control parasites is manure removal in the pastures, turnout and runs for your animals. Today, I plan to clean the chicken's coop and burn the bedding. Next weekend, I plan to till up their run and move the dirt, poo and leftover vegetation which they didn't want to the horse's pasture. They don't share parasites with chickens.
If you just cannot handle the remote possibility of any shared parasite, there are two things that you could do.
1) burn your manure and use only the ash
2) use ONLY plant based compost

Both are viable alternatives. I, myself, will continue to use my animal's manure bc I FAR prefer it to the chemicals manufactured for fertilizer. Those degrade quickly and I have a concern regarding chemicals that are not naturally occurring in my soil to be introducted to my vegetables and my ingestion, just like I am getting away from grocery store foods with chemical preservatives. I have a sneaking suspicion that we are all getting a little bit sick from those, but I cannot scientifically prove it.
Happy gardening, all!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Print
Overview
Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria normally live in the intestines of healthy people and animals. Most varieties of E. coli are harmless or cause relatively brief diarrhea. But a few particularly nasty strains, such as E. coli O157:H7, can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

You may be exposed to E. coli from contaminated water or food — especially raw vegetables and undercooked ground beef.
From Mayo Clinic.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hydrogen Peroxide kills E Coli, Just wash vegetables or soak them in food grade Hydrogen Peroxide. Apple Cider Vinegar also will kill E Coli, but it isn't "scientifically" proven.

@seedcorn, I have to agree with you. It is your job! You are on the front lines, you see with your own eyes what is going on in the fields where this country's food is grown. And overseas.....:sick I am surprised that more people are not sickened, more often.

You might poke fun at organic, but I can assure you, my organic standards are not the industrial norm. What industrial food companies do is far, far away from my little garden. I would rather have a little bug chewing than ingest poisons, no matter how "safe" the companies that sell them claim that they are.

Bring on the manure!

Latest posts