Cow manure

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dairies do not use antibiotics as every days milk is tested for antibiotics, illegal feed additives, disease, pathogens, etc....

I don't know if farmers in the usa use antibiotics, but here in Holland they do. The milk of a cow is then discarded for a certain time until levels have dropped. So the manure will still contain antibiotics.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I poke fun at “commercial” organic as it is about as organic as a field of GMO corn. I will avoid the obvious hypocrisies.

I support (& do) what most people believe organic is. I support the least amount of chemicals you can use on your food. (Not to side track but why I have no problem with GMO’s as the genes added by bacteria are already being eaten by man kind and they replace vast amounts of chemicals & don’t kill non-targeted species).

In today’s AG, we LOVE manure. Problem is, all the non-AG people who live in country do NOT. They all seem to know a lawyer and the state chemist.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if farmers in the usa use antibiotics, but here in Holland they do. The milk of a cow is then discarded for a certain time until levels have dropped. So the manure will still contain antibiotics.
Injectables mainly here which seems to be permissible by “organic” standards-I see no difference between giving antibiotics in shot, feed or water. Most are a sulfur compound or a penicillin type-both found in nature.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Injectables mainly here which seems to be permissible by “organic” standards-I see no difference between giving antibiotics in shot, feed or water. Most are a sulfur compound or a penicillin type-both found in nature.

Seed, here is an excerpt of what I found when checking on antibiotics and organic dairy in the US. And a link of course. Using antibiotics are required in certain circumstances but that animal is no longer organic. They have to sell it as non-organic. Some write-ups on what constitutes organic aren't real clear about whether or not the animal is still considered organic, I've seen some of those and can see why you said "seems to be permissible". This is specifically for dairy but it is pretty clear.

Use of Antibiotics
In an emergency, a producer must use antibiotics if necessary to save the life of the animal or to prevent suffering. Use of antibiotics should be based on the recommendation of a vet. Withholding treatment of antibiotics from animals to maintain their organic status is prohibited.

If a producer uses antibiotics, they must do the following:  Record the event in their health records.  Notify their certifier of the situation.  Segregate the animal to prevent contamination of organic products. For example, a dairy cow must be marked to prevent the milk from going in the bulk tank. In addition, the milk may not be fed to calves.  Sell the animal to a non-organic market.  Document the sale of the animal.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Dairy - Guidelines.pdf

As far as using composted manure, if you know where the manure comes from you know where it comes from. If you don't, you don't. I'm personally comfortable using thoroughly composted cow manure, I figure those drugs have broken down through the composting process and are no longer present, at least not in harmful quantities if at all. But if you are not comfortable with that, don't do it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Selling any animal in the food chain that has had antibiotics is illegal until the withdrawal time is met. Using milk from a treated animal is also illegal until withdrawal time is met and milk passes inspection. That is why I go a little crazy when people talk about differences when there-in reality-is very little, to no differences. How serious are the milk producers? Sell contaminated milk, you buy all the milk tainted by your milk and the cost of clean-up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow not ever again! That doesn’t seem right.

Mary

why? the use of antibiotics selects for strains of bacteria which can defeat the antibiotic, you don't want to pass those strains on to any other animal if you can help it. you sell it as a non-organic cow, the price will be less, but not a complete loss.

Latest posts