DH

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you all! He went from extremely tired and saying things like the phone needs to stay in water and he does not know what green is when I told him the green button was for the TV, to back to normal as could be, except he is not being that nice to any of us when we visit or on the phone. I am starting to wonder if it is his antibiotic, Keflex. I looked at side effects and it can cause hallucinations and confusion. I am going to ask how many more days of that he has. If just 10 day course then tomorrow or today was the last day. Yesterday he told me he had been working on broken sprinkler heads at work when he never left the rehab building, and that his co-worker Larry had been working on the TV's in the rehab building, so I think that is hallucination???
Everyone gets confused in the hospital. The nasty temperament can be from the meds. Having several family die from cancer It is important to think about their wishes. And what would you want for yourself?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone gets confused in the hospital. The nasty temperament can be from the meds. Having several family die from cancer It is important to think about their wishes. And what would you want for yourself?

Right now he is not like he was 2 years ago when he wanted to go home a few days after the surgery, but he was fighting with nurses. Now, he is like in a motel. Do you need anything? Time for lunch, time for supper, people bringing him snacks, and he has a remote control from the bed to watch TV. I asked him if he missed his routine at home and he said no, not really. :thlol I think he is going to be upset if they tell him he is ready to go home.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is so hard when you don't have the answers to so many tough questions. Just try to make the most of each day and live in the moment. God holds you all in his hands and he only knows what our future holds. And that goes for all of us, not just those who are sick, although we think about it more acutely in those times.

My dad became quite cranky from the steroid and the Keppra. It did subside after awhile as he got used to them. We found many of the things he would say humorous and it doesn't hurt to have a good sense a humor about it as it lightens the load.

I am glad your husband is happy to stay at rehab without complaint. So much easier on you both, I'm sure. You are doing a fine job supporting and encouraging him. I hope things get easier as he heals from his surgery. I know he must love and appreciate you so much, even if he is not quite himself at the moment to say so himself. :hugs

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is so hard when you don't have the answers to so many tough questions. Just try to make the most of each day and live in the moment. God holds you all in his hands and he only knows what our future holds. And that goes for all of us, not just those who are sick, although we think about it more acutely in those times.

My dad became quite cranky from the steroid and the Keppra. It did subside after awhile as he got used to them. We found many of the things he would say humorous and it doesn't hurt to have a good sense a humor about it as it lightens the load.

I am glad your husband is happy to stay at rehab without complaint. So much easier on you both, I'm sure. You are doing a fine job supporting and encouraging him. I hope things get easier as he heals from his surgery. I know he must love and appreciate you so much, even if he is not quite himself at the moment to say so himself. :hugs

He has never been cranky with Keppra and steroids and we are so lucky with that. I don't think we will know what is going on until the next MRI. I tried to talk to the nurses and the person in charge of the pharmacy. They were kind of shocked he had been on Lovenox when he bled and back on it. He is to go to Coumadin soon and they think the doctor there will let the neurosurgeon be in charge of it, which I could not get a hold of his nurse today and I would imagine soon he will need a steroid dose decrease. I think he will have to go home for all of this. He slept after lunch and when he woke up he had stories to tell. He was wound up and in good mood, ate supper with DD, and talked to me on the phone, and telling me about trees and cords in the trees for cats, and he told DD he had been at work today. I called just now and he is watching a movie and sounds tired. DS and I saw him for lunch and he was exhausted after physical therapy. It is total confusion and his care it will be one day at a time and a lot of decisions about quality of life and side effects of medication.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is home. He is really tired, but he walks good around the house. He walked from the car to the house. He is not confused. He is sleeping now. I think it will take a couple of days of sleep to get rested up. He has appointments with oncologist and neurosurgeon on Wednesday. We will find out the new plans. Makes me so mad that this happened. It did not have to. I asked and asked, can't he be on a lower dose of Lovenox and nurses kept telling me no. They had him on 0.8 twice a day with nosebleeds, bruising and this caused the bleeding in his head. I told them the cancer medicine caused bleeding. They gave me the paper themselves with information not to give him aspirin, and now after all this, he has been through surgery and laying in bed, where he would be way more likely to get a blood clot, and they have him on only 0.4 mg once a day and no blood clots. I was so happy to hear it was only once a day and such a small dose. No nosebleeds now and all could have been prevented if they would just use common sense and read and understand these medicines.

Latest posts