Family Restaurant

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need recipes. Everything is soooo delish looking!!
Dear Rhodie, I didn't have recipes - I usually didn't know what I would cook until the very last moment, kind of improvised cooking. :p

Yesterday, I picked some fresh peas, and finally, I decided to add them to the sausage and tomato rice.

The rice is cooked with beef sausages and a tomato - all the wonderful flavor will go into the rice. After the rice was done, I fried the peas with some butter, put them on the rice, and sent the pot back to the rice cooker for another 20 minutes.

5609.jpg

5606.jpg

Then I fried the sliced zucchinis and cucumbers with bacon~and some shrimp
5607.jpg

A comfort-food level meal
5608.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dear Rhodie, I didn't have recipes - I usually didn't know what I would cook until the very last moment, kind of improvised cooking. :p

Yesterday, I picked some fresh peas, and finally, I decided to add them to the sausage and tomato rice.

The rice is cooked with beef sausages and a tomato - all the wonderful flavor will go into the rice. After the rice was done, I fried the peas with some butter, put them on the rice, and sent the pot back to the rice cooker for another 20 minutes.

View attachment 50229

View attachment 50230

Then I fried the sliced zucchinis and cucumbers with bacon~and some shrimp
View attachment 50231
A comfort-food level meal
View attachment 50232

now i know what i want for breakfast! :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Phaedra Geiermann did you make your own sausages? :)
Yes, but only in winter - the traditional variety I used to make needs a short curing and drying process.

For the fresh sausages that are ready to eat immediately, Germans are quite good at them, so I just buy from the butchers or supermarkets.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the process of harvesting and cleaning up for succession planting, we have today a lot of fresh goodies as usual.
5750.jpg

5749.jpg

I have some seasoned chicken thighs for BBQ, so I used the bones for making broth and simmering the small potatoes. After the potatoes became soft enough, they joined the stir-fry party with chicken, peas, and zucchini.
5761.jpg

My daughter only eats homegrown potatoes - she is more rice/noodle people. I love this pinkish purple variety I plant every year.
5760.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't know why, but today, I want some Pesto!
5776_0.jpg

The divided and transplanted basils (from potted herbs sold in the supermarket) are thriving in the different corners of my garden. Regular topping is helpful to them to stay young and become bushier and robust plants.

5780_0.jpg

5781_0.jpg

So, I picked basil, mint, and parsley for today's Pesto. No pine nuts, no cheese, no lemon zest - less is more: just extra virgin olive oil, homegrown garlic, and mixed herbs. I want a pure and refreshing Pesto!
5779_0.jpg

Here we go.
5777_0.jpg

The result is very satisfying.
5774.jpg

It's fresh and delish.
5775.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the end, why do you need to grow potatoes when you live in Germany, where potato is so cost-effective everywhere?

Because it's no way to enjoy such a safe, delicious, crunchy, nutritious, and of course, fresh potato peelings pan-fried in goose fat. Before serving, sprinkle some Maldon sea salt and garlic powder; the flavor is amazing!

For me, it's absolutely the "ugly delicious."
5806(1).jpg

Visible crunchiness
5805_0.jpg

The diced potatoes joined today's peasant food party - minced beef, homegrown field beans and potatoes, and tomatoes ordered directly from a farmer in Spain.
5804_0.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Phaedra Geiermann ,

I garden on the border between Idaho and Washington. The #1 and #2 potato growing states in the US :). However, there are no immediate commercial, potato farms - really, the wrong soil types. But, what is the problem in the modern day and age with 100-400 miles of transportation?

Nevertheless, I grow potatoes. First, without any enthusiasm ... Then, I discovered non-commercial varieties. But especially, I learned the value of potatoes fresh from the garden :D.

Steve

Latest posts