Family Restaurant

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today is the third day my FIL is staying in the nursing home. He is doing very well! The room is clean, bright, and, most importantly - safe. He always told us to bring him home when he was in his house. But now, he is quite calm and happy about the environment. No staircase - this is an absolute plus for him, as he had knee surgery twice in the past.

We will gradually bring him a few more items (like a cozy armchair, paintings, and some toy railway stuff).

6410.jpg

6409.jpg

We visited him twice a day after he moved in. As he already has some experience in the daycare center, he is comfortable interacting with others or reading as he wants. We saw him sitting with other residents during the afternoon tea time, drinking his coffee (he told me he didn't drink coffee for more than 30 years... :lol:), having cake, and chit-chatting.

I believe it's still far much better than staying in the house alone and waiting for us. Anyway, we do feel relief. I would also keep preparing things he loves to eat.

So, I have a lot of time now to improve our garden and ourselves.

A pizza carried fresh vegetables and quail eggs.
6758.jpg

Homemade club sandwich, improvised style
6760.jpg

Meals for our raw-fed cats and dogs
6755.jpg

6514.jpg

The story of our family restaurant and food adventure goes on.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think for most people at that stage who are not causing issues for other by being aggressive it is so wonderful if they can be around others. being alone in a house or apartment can be such a hazard (turning on the stove to cook something and then wandering away forgetting you've done that, etc.)...

we have a friend who was getting to that point where they really should not have been left alone as much as they were and now they are in a place with others. it has taken some time for them to adjust but i think they are finally being more willing to interact with others instead of just staying in their room.

it looks like a nice place. kudoes and best wishes to you all. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
During the summer months, I kept sowing, transplanting, and harvesting.

My lovely scallions grew from seeds~they are so pretty.
6746.jpg

Sweet potato leaves
6748.jpg

Transplanting leafy greens - I expect to harvest them from the second half of August.
6750.jpg

6749.jpg

French beans are ready for harvest.
6747.jpg

I tried sowing both dry and not-so-dry field beans - both look fully developed. I grow them for shoots.
6753.jpg

6752.jpg

Another mixed bed - the asparagus are still growing, but there is a lot of space for young vegetables. I transplanted rooted sweet potato cuttings (for harvesting leaves), water spinach, a few dwarf marigolds, and Brussel sprouts.
6754.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First of all, my FIL is pretty happy about his new living environment. As DH visits him almost every day, most of the time, he is totally okay.
1661627413910.png

I found a photo of him and DH long long time ago.
1661627581931.png

We also feel totally relief - no need to worry about any possible accident. As the oil price is so high, it also saves a lot when we don't need to drive to Cologne every day. DH applies home-office (one day per week), that means, 3 days a week we don't have to drive for hours.

Well, our treature hunt never stops. Yesterday, DH went to Lidl alone and got a lot of discounted meat/seafood.
8379.jpg

Today, we went together after 8pm (the time they will put the sticker on) and got a lot of 50%-off veggies and fruits.
8377.jpg

8378.jpg

8376.jpg

So, whatever is 50% off, I brought some home. Both Banana (1kg 0.84 Euro) and Spinach (1kg 0.99 Euro) are cheaper than the commercial chicken feed after discount - they are frequent bonus food for our hens.
8375.jpg

I even got 8 pieces of chocolate (which can be used in hot milk and it becomes hot chocolate) at about 1.2 Euro.
8380.jpg
To be honest, this saves amazingly.

Today, I used shrimp, some homegrown crowndaisy leaves, and the discounted mince pork to make some pork ball - they are so delicious.
1661628407062.png

8381.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
First of all, my FIL is pretty happy about his new living environment. As DH visits him almost every day, most of the time, he is totally okay.
View attachment 51669
I found a photo of him and DH long long time ago.
View attachment 51670

We also feel totally relief - no need to worry about any possible accident. As the oil price is so high, it also saves a lot when we don't need to drive to Cologne every day. DH applies home-office (one day per week), that means, 3 days a week we don't have to drive for hours.

i'm so glad this is working out ok for everyone! :)

Well, our treature hunt never stops. Yesterday, DH went to Lidl alone and got a lot of discounted meat/seafood.
View attachment 51671
Today, we went together after 8pm (the time they will put the sticker on) and got a lot of 50%-off veggies and fruits.
View attachment 51672
View attachment 51673
View attachment 51674

So, whatever is 50% off, I brought some home. Both Banana (1kg 0.84 Euro) and Spinach (1kg 0.99 Euro) are cheaper than the commercial chicken feed after discount - they are frequent bonus food for our hens.
View attachment 51675

I even got 8 pieces of chocolate (which can be used in hot milk and it becomes hot chocolate) at about 1.2 Euro.
View attachment 51676To be honest, this saves amazingly.

Today, I used shrimp, some homegrown crowndaisy leaves, and the discounted mince pork to make some pork ball - they are so delicious.
View attachment 51677
View attachment 51678

all looks delicious. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Lidl in our town changed their policy. The 50% discount became history, and now we can get a 30% discount the most. As a 30% discount can be found in every discounter/supermarket, Lidl lost its charm.

Therefore, from this month on, we went to another much larger chain supermarket in the neighboring town to do our weekly treasure hunt. Unlike the strategies Aldi or Lidl used, this supermarket has a lot of choices and much fancier items. They also provide 30% off for whatever is near the "best-before" date.

The prices of the meat and organs that local people won't buy are always friendly. Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I am more than happy to bring them home.
9287_0.jpg

There is no way for me to buy ordinary beef (at least 13Euro/kg) for our cats and dogs, but look at those meaty bones! The price and the meat are both lovely. They are also perfect for making broth or soup, or congee.
9602.jpg

Today's meals for our raw-fed cats and dogs.
9597.jpg

Chickens also have nice meals - I have bought local apples (0.9Euro/Kg) and carrots (0.8Euro/Kg) - ingredients that the entire family can enjoy and are super cheap.
9610.jpg

For excessive chicken skin (from the thigh), I usually cut them into strips and season them with salt, garlic, and chili powder.
9599.jpg

Its effect is pretty similar to bacon or salted lard. No waste, and it can create flavors for stir-fry dishes.
9598.jpg

We also stopped buying pet snacks and made our own.
9586.jpg

Of course, the harvest from the garden is always the best supply. Tomorrow, we will have some roast homegrown sweet potatoes~ 🥰
7628.jpg

Well, I also bake our own bread weekly now, and tomorrow is again the baking Saturday!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Phaedra Geiermann , do you pressure can? I have pressured canned chili, not tried straight meat yet, but lots of people post videos on it. You can store for months/years.

Latest posts