Fires in the West

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The smoke made it all the way here yesterday. It didn't smell like smoke anymore, but we climbed a mountain and there was a very hazy view, despite clear weather.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sneezed once a couple of days ago.

Instant headache.

First time that I have taken Tylenol since January.

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our air has improved to just within the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" and below "moderate."

Lots of clouds and wind today and just a sprinkle of rain. The asphalt on the road has begun to look wet now that the sprinkles have continued for about 2 hours. This should help. The cooler temperatures might help with the fires. Hope so.

The smoke smell was very strong this morning. Maybe that was just because there was plenty of smoke but, I bet it was because of the increased humidity. With the little bit of afternoon rain, the smell has decreased. Funny how that worked. The extreme dryness has not been so much fun on my personal airways. Thursday's winds above 20mph and humidity below 20% ... wasn't even the worst day of my week for me to draw a breath ...

Steve
who now has "managing COPD" in his online ads ...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've finally got day number three in a row with no smoke. Its glorious out and its so nice to see the sun! (not an orange flame in the sky). Here is what I harvested just a short while ago.

rRIpTMl.jpg

And even my chickens are happy!
057LuIh.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've finally got day number three in a row with no smoke. Its glorious out and its so nice to see the sun! (not an orange flame in the sky). Here is what I harvested just a short while ago.

rRIpTMl.jpg

And even my chickens are happy!
057LuIh.jpg

those tomatoes look gorgeous!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are Russ' old beans from a few years ago. Prince is a very healthy producer and Wowza is right behind it. I've got enough saved to share for next year. I also planted butterscotch beans and they are so pretty!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Large fire just north of us last nite. I was woken up by the text's and IM's from FB. Normally my phone is in my living room or in my purse. I posted this on FB, incase anyone is interested in my opinion.

To those who scoff at FB. Listen well...For the second time in three years, I slept with my Facebook. Right there beside me, with a dog and a cat and a husband on the other side. Yes, FB is important to me and my life.

FB is the ONLY source of fire information on a real time, min by min basis. The "Groups" that provide this information are on the boots on the ground, providing their updates from the locals, the fire department, the dept of Forestry, the Emergency Services of our county, and without them, most people would be in the dark until its too late.

A fire broke out last night when a tree fell on a power line. Ho Hum, no big deal. Well, within a few short hours, it was at 150 acres and now this morning at 250 acres. Yes, structures have been lost. Residents there had no warning - they were told to leave now. Horses, cattle, goats, chickens....too many to safely evacuate due to the lack of time. Many drove in with trailers to help, but the lookie loos on the main road blocked them. I digress....

Don't scoff at FB. Its technology provides YOU with the information you will need at a moment's notice. Not like a federal or state or county website. Its call Social Media for a reason - its very nature of being social, especially locally, is the vehicle upon which critical information can be gathered and dispersed quickly and efficiently.

Latest posts