Free Mulch & Wood Chips Program

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I figure you of all people would understand. I don't use them exactly like you do but they will come in very handy in landscaping beds, around the outside of the garden over landscape cloth to create a barrier to grass growing in, and a few other areas. Once they age a year they will go in the garden over paper as mulch. At the end of that season they will have turned into compost.

Best of all, they are free, including delivery!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
FREE....that's one of my favorite words! :woot I have a feeling you'll be wanting more of those before it's all said and done and you find out what good compost they make. I'll take all the wood chips I can find...I've found them to be really good in the chicken coop, in areas that has high traffic and too much mud, around my fruit trees, all my flower beds and, of course, in the garden.

You would simply not believe the extreme nutrient flow coming from my garden right now in all this rain, due to those wood chips there. In the areas of runoff, the grass is at least 3-4 in. higher than areas right next to it and I have clover growing where I never planted any. Lush, thick, darker green than all the surrounding grass.

That's happening in my orchard also, especially in the place where a pile of chips sat for a long while...below that on the slope is a solid sheet of dark green clover where no clover has ever grown before. All around the chips under my fruit trees is actual grass, dark green and lovely, along with clover....that area used to be just heavy with moss.

I sure hope you get more of these wood chips as they clear those lines. :clap

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I regularly use wood chips, I just don't like to pay $10 for a front end loader of them. I still get them on a regular basis from a local city waste management department, but this is a lot more and they are free.

I'm a strong believer in natural mulch of any kind. It's all good.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I scavenged two truck loads of free straw at my local feed store here lately. They have a big semi trailer full of baled straw they sell there but outside the door of it is a mound of loose straw that accumulates there when they remove the bales. Underneath was black gold but a few scraggly little trees had sent all kinds of roots over there to mine the nutrition, so I didn't get to scoop much of that black stuff...did the best I could, though.

That loose straw is now in pens around my new apple saplings, in the compost bin, in all the flower beds, under the peach trees, etc.

Free is GOOD. :D I don't mind doing a little work for free stuff. I've got a number I need to call for free horse manure here soon...little laid up at the moment but will try to get some when I'm able. Can't turn down free manure! :love

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A neighbor brings me two front end loaders of what he calls composted cow manure from where he feeds his cattle over winter every year. It's not really rotted, still pretty fresh, but I leave it until fall and then spread it on my garden. By spring it's ready and it makes a big difference. I get a lot of seeds out of it but it's worth it. I can manage what sprouts.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH would have wood chip envy, too!
I will be adding his name to the list from the original post. We are hoping to snag some to put down around raised beds for less mowing.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just did this yesterday! I have a pine tree 15 feet from the street, so I called to have it trimmed because it's interfering with the power lines. They WON'T cut it if it interferes with YOUR incoming lines, however. Mine are all buried.
Anyway, they asked me if I wanted a truckload of mulch. Heck, yeah! I'll use it at my DD's place. They asked me how MANY loads I wanted, too. Sorry, Charlie, don't need any more than one.

Latest posts