gas prices ++ didn't take long

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a young kid and dad bought the new pontiac station wagon I asked him why he didn't get a red one. He wanted to, but I would have cost 300 dollars more. Go figure is what the neighbor Mr. Kelly said! Then Mr. Kelly went and got a new chevy. It was white too. I asked him why not red and he said, go figure, again! Only the rich people, the Gobles, had a cool colored car. Go figure! Cool colors cost more? Why?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
When I was a young kid and dad bought the new pontiac station wagon I asked him why he didn't get a red one. He wanted to, but I would have cost 300 dollars more. Go figure is what the neighbor Mr. Kelly said! Then Mr. Kelly went and got a new chevy. It was white too. I asked him why not red and he said, go figure, again! Only the rich people, the Gobles, had a cool colored car. Go figure! Cool colors cost more? Why?
Red pigments cost more:

http://biz-chemical.com/pigment_prices.htm

Apparently, orange is the most expensive though.

Interestingly, a friend of mine in the auto body business tells me that white is the easiest color to repair/match.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A red Pontiac station wagon would be cool, Marshall?

I probably could have gotten you to call my PV544 Volvo a "fastback" ;).

I don't think we knew that term in those days, tho'. Strangely enuf, we were already saying "cool" - meaning "hot" or something. That Volvo was red . . . just saying.

Steve

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I probably could have gotten you to call my PV544 Volvo a "fastback" ;).

Steve
I once owned a Volvo 120S that was red. Well, at least the parts that weren't Bondo. :D I really liked that car. One of the best buys I ever made. Only cost me $75.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd hoped to buy my wife a 120S but they were kind of old by then.

She held out for a 164.

I got her an Opel . . . after the divorce . . . I got the house and the dog! (She had to have something to drive across the border ;).)

Steve

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I'd hoped to buy my wife a 120S but they were kind of old by then.

She held out for a 164.

I got her an Opel . . . after the divorce . . . I got the house and the dog! (She had to have something to drive across the border ;).)

Steve
The first ProRally car I ever crewed on was an Opel. I once owned a Volvo P1800S. Not fast, but they sure were pretty.

72-Volvo-P1800E_DV_08_BC_01.jpg

Mine didn't have the fancy rims, but other than that I looked just like this, and yes, The Saint (for those of you old enough to remember him) drove one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that one would have been a keeper!

Kind of like my hopes of having a new Mercedes sports car. That's never going to happen.

Passersby would probably have to help me in and out of a sports car :rolleyes: if'n I did have one . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I have a 1964 corvair you can start it without a key, but can only lock the doors from outside with a key. For a car from 60s great on gas. No seatbelts!!
I have been thinking about this Corvair and decided to start a different thread.

Nyboy, your car (I won't say "funny" car) probably gets lots of people thinking . . .

Steve ;)

Latest posts