Hay Moose!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a good back up food plan for the moose and the people to. We had a cow and 2 calfs come through our place the day after thanksgiving. They were moving at a pretty fast pace, I think they got bumped by hunters and were moving on. DW said they were probably heading out Black Friday shopping lol. The big cow walked right over a 4 foot barb wire fence without even breaking her stride seemed like. The calf were this last springs so they had to jump but not much though.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you think of sweet summer ? Mine died 1st winter

I like it a lot! The one the bull is nibbling was getting defoliated every summer by the grasshoppers, until this year when I put Ecobran bait out for them. It grew and bloomed nicely after that.
The SSL I have on the blueberry fence gets full sun all day and it grew like crazy and was loaded with blooms. It's only been in one year, so I'm real happy with that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a good back up food plan for the moose and the people to. We had a cow and 2 calfs come through our place the day after thanksgiving. They were moving at a pretty fast pace, I think they got bumped by hunters and were moving on. DW said they were probably heading out Black Friday shopping lol. The big cow walked right over a 4 foot barb wire fence without even breaking her stride seemed like. The calf were this last springs so they had to jump but not much though.

The hunters in the neighborhood jokingly thank me for feeding them alfalfa. I think I finally have my stack battened down enough to keep them out. Of course it takes me 15 minutes and a little quiet cussing to get into it every evening.

We have neighbors with a 6' fence around their property, (the rest of us call it The Compound, haha ) but the adult moose pop over it no problem.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom aww! i lived way up north for 15 years and never was able to see moose in the wild. we even drove around Lake Superior once and hoped to see them. never did. had a friend out east who had a small pond. one came through a night i was visiting but i slept through it. i am the anti-moose? 6ft fence would be a joke to them i think. the whitetail deer need 8ft to keep them out of our fenced garden.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
https://equineink.com/2009/03/02/the-alaskan-clydesdale-fact-or-fiction/
The moose should be working for that hay!!
Btw, the ranch 10 minutes SSE of us has buffalo on about 50 fenced in acres that include a big hill. The hill provides protection from the winter winds for them and they have left saplings to grow up along the west fences. I understand the hill is what is left of local coal mining, bc we are all pretty much flat as a board here. The place has a For Sale sign, but the buffalo are still there. If you drive by on the right day you can still see them. I will search my memory card for the pictures I took several years ago.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
me too
thistlemoose3.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right! They were in the edge of the woods, off the lawn area and I wouldn't have noticed them at all except one flicked an ear. It caught my eye, and at first I thought it was a coyote.
They lay there in the snow for probably an hour after I noticed them. Then they were just gone.

Latest posts