Joy in the Little Things

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your deep red tulips are amazingly beautiful, Phaedra. My tulips were eaten by burrowing rodents long ago (together with any crocus bulbs I planted). One tulip plant survived for awhile next to the house, probably spared due to its proximity to the foundation, but it too finally died out.

Daffodils are another story altogether. Voles don't like them and they have spread and prospered. The property looks like Varykino (sp?) in the film "Dr Zhivago" during early Spring.

My rubber trees, clones of clones from an original plant, are the oldest living things I own. They have outlived generations of cats, dogs, and horses (if you count plants grown from cuttings as the same plant). They eventually outgrow their containers and growing space from floor to ceiling, and must be cloned. I bought the original rubber tree from a florist whose shop was next door to a store where I worked in 1969 Boston. The owner would set all his plants out on the sidewalk everyday in front of his shop for sunlight, and probably as advertising, advertising that hooked me when I eventually bought one and took it home to our dark apartment on the subway. It suffered in that apartment, but after the lease on that rat-trap ran out and we moved to sunnier apartments, and then to our house here in Vermont, it thrived.

That romaine looks very tasty! I plant little Tom Thumb lettuces every year, but this year none germinated for some reason, and I guess it's too late to replant. But at least the stir fry/ salad mixture is off to a good start.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees , I think of New Hampshire and Vermont as somewhat similar to here. Certainly, I appreciate the UNH research and introduction of new plant varieties.

Babied plant starts can often do better than direct-sowing in my open garden. It's very exposed to wind and sun. I have frequently started lettuce late. Not real/real late when it would have been exposed to August conditions but harvest in July usually works well.

The greenhouse or kitchen might be the place to start but they go into a sheltered place in the backyard as soon as the lettuce emerges. Attention to watering daily is needed. And, before setting out -- soaked. That seems to help with everything and likely helps avoid some root damage and too much transplant shock. It surprised me how something I think of as especially tender, tuffs out the experience.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Creating a New Landscape in the Garden

The flower bed outside the greenhouse was originally filled with English Ivy, which was a headache for me since we have no love for this plant.

The original intention may have been low maintenance, as English Ivy is often used as a ground cover in shady areas. However, in Germany, where the growing season is short and sunlight hours are precious, keeping English Ivy in a west-facing ground is a waste of potential.

After some trial and error, I have transformed this space into a more pleasant and productive flower bed.
6943.jpg

The main perennial shrubs now include one fragrant Rhododendron, two flowering cherry trees, several azaleas, two Japanese plum trees (Prunus mume), and one blueberry bush. In addition, I have added about 10 herbaceous perennials this spring, which will need more time to develop.

To create seasonal looks, I have used potted plants to edge the flower bed.
For example, in 2023, Hyacinths for spring (already removed), Dahlias for summer, and Chrysanthemums for autumn.

Overall, I am pleased with the presentation of the water feature and the statue in this new landscape.
6944.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what year i was gifted a miniature orange tree but i think i was about 16 and then i kept that poor plant going for about 20 years it rarely grew much, it flowered once and had one very tiny orange on it. eventually i rented an attic and that was the last of that plant. way too cold up there in the winter and only one very tiny window at each end of the house. that plant was moved about 20 times.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My tulips were eaten by burrowing rodents long ago (together with any crocus bulbs I planted).
Same story here, I have lost almost two beds of tulips, and even I dug the survive ones and replanted them in the pots - the rodents didn't give up and still ate the bulbs from above (dug a hole and went in the pots...)

I don't think I will keep growing a lot of tulips like these two autumns, too much work and trouble. My focus shifted much more to the hardy (and not tasty for rodents) perennial shrubs this year. Another consideration is, I can propagate them for a micro backyard nursery business. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phaedra, my store bought ginger is sprouting! I’d like to plant it in one of my tubs, but I’ve already planted them. I can transplant the Calendula or basil to something else and plant the ginger in that tub.

Should I cut it in pieces? Let them dry a few days on the cut end? How tall will they get? How long does it take for harvest? First frost is usually in November. I’ve never grown ginger, this will be fun!

IMG_4299.jpeg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Should I cut it in pieces? Let them dry a few days on the cut end?
That's a good start and you are right, you can cut it in two pieces, let dry (i think 2 days is fully enough), and plant them.
6981.jpg

Taller varieties might grow up to 1 Meter. In Taiwan, farmers sell gingers in different stages of maturity -

(A) 4~5 month old ginger, least fibrous, with a very mild taste - sliced or shredded baby ginger usually served with deep fried seafood, sushi, or can be used to make some dip sauces. They can be pickled, too.

(B) 6~7 month old ginger, moderate fibrous, stronger flavor - at this stage, sliced or shredded ginger will be used for stir-fry dishes.

(C) 10 month old ginger, pretty fibrous, very strong flavor - we use such ginger majorly for making stew as winter dishes.

If you have an ideal indoor place for them to overwinter, it doesn't matter where you want to grow them now. You can harvest some or dig them out, replant them in smaller containers before the first frost.

Latest posts