LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Heavenly! You will learn so much here, maybe more than you wanted, hehe!
I love morning glories and hate bindweed. Can't get the one to grow and can't kill the other fast enuff.
@catjac1975 had some great tips, gonna try it her way this year. Can't wait to hear, and see, how your morning glory grows!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NY another Heavenly Blue lover. I have a tall wooden fence next to parking lot at work. I found some heavenly blue starts at a local nursery ( did not know how easy to grow from seed) and planted 2 next to fence. Buy mid summer whole fence was covered in blue flowers, not one day went by where at least 1 client ask about it. It can not survive NY winter, so never gets out of control here

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here's the deal--it is always YOUR garden. I pay attention to invasive plants bc I am the one who has to pull them up when they get out of hand. Sometimes, however, an invasive plant can be grown in a micro climate where it doesn't spread rapidly. I have bricked in beds directly north of my garage with enough shade that the vinca doesn't take over past the bed. I also grow mint in several places, for 17 years now, and people don't realize that mint can be controlled just by pulling.

~Heavenly Blue~

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I did a little digging and found some information on hedge bindweed Calystegia sepium.
View attachment 25059

I'm not familiar with it in practice, but it's possible that it's what many of you are cursing.
It's a different species than perennial field bindweed, which is Convolvulus ardensis View attachment 25060which is different still than the cultivated annual "Morning Glory" which is Ipomoea purpurea.
View attachment 25061
So often it happens that plants get common names applied that are misleading and we assume we are all talking about the same thing.

I will stick to my guns on this one. The flowers and leaves of these three distinct species may all be very similar, but they are different enough in habit and culture. The Ipomoea commonly called morning glory is not the evil plant that inspires so much vitriol.

Poor @Heavenly Blue, I feel like you got lectured about a flower that you like enough to use for your avatar. Plant it if you like, I for one don't think you will need to bar your doors and lay sleepless in your bed at night, lol.
Thank you that is very great information!! :)

Please note:

@~Heavenly Blue~ ,
Birthday:
March 17

Happy Birthday, ~Heavenly Blue~ !

Steve
Thank you! :)

Hey! Happy Birthday to you! Today is my youngest grandson's birthday, too. He's 3. I really wanted the parents to give him Patrick for a middle name, but noooo!
Thank you! :)
Lol. Yeah.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@~Heavenly Blue~ -

A big, sort of late welcome from Alabama! You sure picked a beautiful flower to base your username off of. TEG is a great place to be, and as you have already seen, there are such friendly and helpful folks here. Make sure to keep us updated, and hope you're having a great day!

~Heavenly Blue~

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@~Heavenly Blue~ -

A big, sort of late welcome from Alabama! You sure picked a beautiful flower to base your username off of. TEG is a great place to be, and as you have already seen, there are such friendly and helpful folks here. Make sure to keep us updated, and hope you're having a great day!
Thank you! I know someone from Alabama! Lol. Thank you!
Okay. :) I am having a great day today!

Latest posts