flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose a lot has to do with location. It helps to have winter freezes, or to make sure you clean up well in the fall.
But I really suspect that a lot of people are confusing field bindweed (convolvulus arvensis) a perennial weed, with the ornamental annual flower Morning Glory (Ipomea species) which is relatively benign.

oh lawd i wish! :)

we have the small wild type growing along the roadway, but i've also seen another wild type which is even worse by far. Mom thought it was so pretty and put some on a trellis out front. what a mess that turned into. took me several years to recover from that.

no, i'm talking about the ornamental morning glories commonly sold... once they get going...

i do think they are lovely flowers. i just don't want any near a formal garden or a gravel pathway. if you mow all around them all the time you may not think much of them. we don't have much to mow around anything any more. it makes a big difference. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
no, i'm talking about the ornamental morning glories commonly sold... once they get going...

Same here. There was just lawn and nothing else where I established this little garden of Joel's....old, old lawn. Nothing planted there, no one plants any flowers there due to the local deer herd. No perennial bindweed in sight.

I planted the seeds from the packet and they came up right where I planted them...only it wasn't Heavenly Blue in that packet. I got gypped. It was the white flowered bindweed instead.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a little digging and found some information on hedge bindweed Calystegia sepium.
upload_2018-3-16_15-55-47.jpeg

I'm not familiar with it in practice, but it's possible that it's what many of you are cursing.
It's a different species than perennial field bindweed, which is Convolvulus ardensis
upload_2018-3-16_15-56-37.jpeg
which is different still than the cultivated annual "Morning Glory" which is Ipomoea purpurea.
upload_2018-3-16_15-57-25.jpeg

So often it happens that plants get common names applied that are misleading and we assume we are all talking about the same thing.

I will stick to my guns on this one. The flowers and leaves of these three distinct species may all be very similar, but they are different enough in habit and culture. The Ipomoea commonly called morning glory is not the evil plant that inspires so much vitriol.

Poor @Heavenly Blue, I feel like you got lectured about a flower that you like enough to use for your avatar. Plant it if you like, I for one don't think you will need to bar your doors and lay sleepless in your bed at night, lol.

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a little digging and found some information on hedge bindweed Calystegia sepium.
View attachment 25059

I'm not familiar with it in practice, but it's possible that it's what many of you are cursing.
It's a different species than perennial field bindweed, which is Convolvulus ardensis View attachment 25060which is different still than the cultivated annual "Morning Glory" which is Ipomoea purpurea.
View attachment 25061
So often it happens that plants get common names applied that are misleading and we assume we are all talking about the same thing.

I will stick to my guns on this one. The flowers and leaves of these three distinct species may all be very similar, but they are different enough in habit and culture. The Ipomoea commonly called morning glory is not the evil plant that inspires so much vitriol.

Poor @Heavenly Blue, I feel like you got lectured about a flower that you like enough to use for your avatar. Plant it if you like, I for one don't think you will need to bar your doors and lay sleepless in your bed at night, lol.
Nice of you @thistlebloom to ease Heavenly Blue's mind. :) You are a sweetie ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok. I concede. I plant every year on a fence, no mowing going on there ever.
No huge scary invasion....Maybe I'm just the luckiest gardener on Earth?

more arid than here by quite a bit if you are near average Idaho rainfall in your area.

hope the Great Blue One doesn't run away from us nattering on about... :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm always tempted to climb and straddle our 6' fence and pour roundup on my neighbor's side of it. I'm constantly pulling it off of my bamboo.

It is a pretty flower though. I think you can stay on top of it without it getting away from you.

Mary

Latest posts