flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's the deal--it is always YOUR garden. I pay attention to invasive plants bc I am the one who has to pull them up when they get out of hand. Sometimes, however, an invasive plant can be grown in a micro climate where it doesn't spread rapidly. I have bricked in beds directly north of my garage with enough shade that the vinca doesn't take over past the bed. I also grow mint in several places, for 17 years now, and people don't realize that mint can be controlled just by pulling.

we've removed several mint patches (and pennyroyal which wanted to take over many areas surrounding various gardens)... we have some grassy/mowed areas left and mints have gotten into them and gradually spread through. nice to smell when walked on or mowed. we don't use any of them for cooking or making tea, but the bees swarm them any time they bloom.

in a few areas where we removed the mints many years ago we can sometimes still find volunteer plants coming up from seeds. it's just not something we wanted taking over. when you have to move large rocks to get at the roots it a lot of work! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you have the perfect microclimate for ANY plant that can be invasive, it will invade. I have killed off bee balm and my vinca doesn't spread. They don't like my soil. You must have excellent "Mint" soil.
Of ALL of the plants to NOT put in the ground, do NOT plant horseradish!!!! It is a big product in Illinois, BUT it can grow 15 FOOT ROOTS!!! Only herbicide like D-2 will kill it.
Grow ONLY in a pot, on cement...where it cannot spread.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have the perfect microclimate for ANY plant that can be invasive, it will invade. I have killed off bee balm and my vinca doesn't spread. They don't like my soil. You must have excellent "Mint" soil.
Of ALL of the plants to NOT put in the ground, do NOT plant horseradish!!!! It is a big product in Illinois, BUT it can grow 15 FOOT ROOTS!!! Only herbicide like D-2 will kill it.
Grow ONLY in a pot, on cement...where it cannot spread.
Ditto on the horseradish. Husbands Grandpa once accidently rotilled through a patch. Every little piece GREW. He had a garden FULL of it. ugh.

Latest posts